Installing a battery (for lights, etc) in a 14' aluminum

Hi all,

I'd like to install some nav lights on my boat (basic 14' aluminum) and am wondering how to place the battery. I would think I'd be installing a car battery of some sort, and it would be best placed up at the bow, as I have a medium sized lip up there already. I can place the battery below this, but how do I suspend or secure it to the hull? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Does your motor have a charging system, electric starter?

If yes you will need a marine starting battery.

If no you will need a deep cycle marine battery.

Look at the Candian Tire Nautilus line. (reasonable price and decent quality)

Let's see a couple of pics of the boat. In my old 12 footer I put a board (about 10 or 12 inches wide) from the rear seat to the middle seat on the side opposite where I sat and put the battery in a battery box under it. I mounted my finder on the board and used the shelf to hold rods, tackle etc.

most commonly used is a deep cycle battery enclosed in a plastic battery box that comes with a couple of brackets and a strap that holds the lid and box secure to the boat. A little wood platform secured to the ribs of the boat would make a nice base for it all to sit on. If you want to go a little further install a on board waterproof battery charger and then just plug it in when not in use and the battery will always be charged. Minn Kota makes a great battery box it has two 12v plug in receptacles, battery gauge and two resettable circuit breakers. I just did my boat came out to about $300 for everything I mentioned.

I'd probably install the battery in the rear if possible. Unless you plan on running twice the amount of wire in order to put a toggle switch somewhere near the rear of the boat.

Place it right behind you and the transom. Get a plastic mounting kit for it and you're set. A simple deep cycle marine battery will work fine if your outboard doesn't have a charging system.

I run my lights off a small 12V/7Ah battery, that I use for my graph in the winter. I can run the lights all night long, no problem. No need for a 50lb battery to run a few lights. It just takes up space and adds weight.

Sinker

Hey all,

Wow, thanks so much for the replies and great advice. My boat (pics to come soon) is the typical 14', looks very much like a mid-80's Springbok. It's not a deep hull, so my motor options are limited, but I have a mid-80's era Johnson 9.9 on it now. No, it has no charging system that I know of. The motor is also a manual (non-electric) start.

I thought initially to place the battery at the bow, to keep it down when accelerating, and just to balance out the boat while I'm running it solo. As I said earlier, I have a larger than normal area that's covered up there, so I have a great spot to mount the nav lights, and I thought to use the real estate underneath, I'd put the battery up there. I just don't know if I'd fabricate some wood or aluminum to "wedge" in that space which would float it above the keel or if I'd try and suspend it from the top.

I also thought that I'd fabricate a small homemade guage housing, which I would mount on the gunwale opposite of where I'd sit, so I could check a guage for the battery charge remaining and I'd also likely have my switch(es) there too. Yes, it's a bit of wiring, but I never shy from work if it ends up being a nice end result.

Thoughts? Anyone done something like this?

My graph tells me how many volts are left on my battery.

I think your over thinking it all myself, but I like to keep things as simple as possible. Much easier to fix that way......and things will break, that is a guarantee!!

B reak

O ut

A nother

T housand

Sinker

A batteries biggest enemy is vibration and having it up front will beat it up badly in rough water. You're better off putting closer to the back where it will get a smoother ride. As said above, most finders have the ability to tell you the batteris voltage. There are several different sizes of deep cycle batteries available. If you think you may add an electric trolling motor later take that into consideration when purchasing your battery. Best to buy it once, rather than having to upgrade later.

If you want to move weight forward look into a longer fuel line and move your gas tank forward.