Question regarding rods for plastics (weightless)

rbaquial

Hey Addicts...

Just had a question about rods for plastics. I'm currently using a Spinning setup to toss out plastics; and that rod has a lure/bait rating of 1/8 to 3/4oz. ... but it had me thinking... I absolutely LOVE using baitcast reels... now, I just recently purchased a Medium action Casting/Trigger Rod that can toss out lures/baits in the range of 1/4 to 5/8oz. Will this Medium Action Casting/Trigger rod do the same job as my Spinning setup will? or will I need to purchase a separate MEDIUM-LIGHT CASTING/TRIGGER rod to do the same thing? I know it depends on the weight of the plastic & hook itself combined...I'm just hoping I can get away with using the Casting/Trigger setup instead of the Spinning setup.

Also, I've been searching on the BASSPRO.COM website, and haven't come across any Casting/Trigger rod that is a MEDIUM-LIGHT action rod in a 2PC... Does anyone know of any companies that DO make them.... I prefer to get a pretty cheap rod ($100 MAX.) This also had me thinking/wondering if they even DO make a MEDIUM-LIGHT CASTING/TRIGGER rod.

If anyone can help me with these 2 questions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Folks...

Rob

Anytime you start casting really light stuff with a baitcaster it becomes a bit tricky. I would stick with the spinning setup for the lighter finess style fishing. It is also more difficult to find light action casting rods.

If you're on a tight budget, it won't be possible to go absolutely weightless with a baitcaster. There's no trick to weightless rigs on baitcasters. You need to go the smallest reel sizes and you must go high quality otherwise the spool tuning and bearing quality just isn't good enough. 3 reels that'll toss weightless rigged plastics are Daiwa Sol, Pixy and Presso. The Shimano chronarch 50/51Mg isn't bad with lightweight presentations but not as good as the daiwas. There are some technique specific aftermarket spools available with very low startup inertia, but they also have very low line capacity. Anyways, all of these casting reels will be in the $300+ range. If you want to add a little weight, the options start to open up, but if you're talking about tossing a 4" senko on a bare hook with a baitcaster, you need small AND high quality.

Your best bet is to get a nice spinning reel with a wide shallow spool and put on some light line.

Rob unless you are really good with a bait caster and are using larger soft plastics (heavier) in probably is best to stick with a spinning reel.

One of the combinations I used is this reel

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Abu-507-Closed-Face-...A1%7C240%3A1318

on a flipping stick designed for spinning reel use, 7' 6" telescoping but with spinning eyes and handle. The reel is old school and funny looking, but will cast 1/16 ounce lures on 17 pound test, unweighted soft plastics like a 6 inch lizard and hook. Best night fishing reel I have ever used, no line twist no tangles, no catching on the bail.

I also use them on a 7 foot medium heavy spinning rod, they cast almost as well as a conventional spinning ree; due to the large line opening and polished stainless lip on the spool cover.

Other manufactures have attempted similar designs, D.A.M. Quick CTE , Diawa 125m they are not as good as the original 500 series Abu reels 501, 503,505, 506, 506m, 507 Mark 1, 508 which is a right hand retrieve version of the 507, and 520 which is the same and the European tagged 503. A 507 gold max mark 2 was made in the 90`s, don`t know if it is still in production, it is made in china whereas the other were made in Sweden, heavier than the original, they junked it up with plastic trim.

Abu also made a model 1044, fast cast,and premier 704 that are the same style of reel, 1044 is older 704 is still available on British web sites but is a smaller reel than the 507 and won`t have heavy line as well. I have no problems using 20# mono on the 507 mark 1 but don`t use over 12# on the 704.

Don`t like the 1044 or Fast cast a plastic reel like the CTE`s and Diawa reel. 507 is a specific tool for a specific job, flipping and pitching very light lures on heavy line, not intended for use with braided line. They do work quite well for all applications though. 501, 503-520 505, 506, 506m are just smaller, like 3/4 scale.

A bit pricey because most are also considered collectible.

Can`t help you with the rod, haven`t bought a 2 piece rod in over 40 years.

The Senko was actually designed to be heavy enough to cast with a bait-casting outfit, but as others have suggested, spinning gear is the way to go with light baits. I have a G. Loomis one piece rod casting rod that I bought to throw tiny baits, but I seldom use it. Spinning gear is much better suited to the job.

The guys have covered what to do as far as tossing light plastics. As for the ML casting rods, I have a couple Shimano Clarus rods that are ML that are $90 bucks at lebaron. They are 6'6" and I like them, they aren't too light that you have to worry about it though but they are a 1 piece rod. Model number CLC-66MLA if you want to look them up.

Guest skeeter99
Hey Addicts...

Just had a question about rods for plastics. I'm currently using a Spinning setup to toss out plastics; and that rod has a lure/bait rating of 1/8 to 3/4oz. ... but it had me thinking... I absolutely LOVE using baitcast reels... now, I just recently purchased a Medium action Casting/Trigger Rod that can toss out lures/baits in the range of 1/4 to 5/8oz. Will this Medium Action Casting/Trigger rod do the same job as my Spinning setup will? or will I need to purchase a separate MEDIUM-LIGHT CASTING/TRIGGER rod to do the same thing? I know it depends on the weight of the plastic & hook itself combined...I'm just hoping I can get away with using the Casting/Trigger setup instead of the Spinning setup.

Also, I've been searching on the BASSPRO.COM website, and haven't come across any Casting/Trigger rod that is a MEDIUM-LIGHT action rod in a 2PC... Does anyone know of any companies that DO make them.... I prefer to get a pretty cheap rod ($100 MAX.) This also had me thinking/wondering if they even DO make a MEDIUM-LIGHT CASTING/TRIGGER rod.

If anyone can help me with these 2 questions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Folks...

Rob

buy a medium heavy compre with a fast tip mated with any baitcaster and you can cast ANY!!!!!!!!! light bait a mile

the only reason I use spinning gear now is skipping tubes under docks etc.

I went through 5 rods before settling with the one I use for weightless plastics. I found I get great distance and less headaches with a 7', medium heavy, extra fast action. The 4" senko's are light but they fly. I have to check but I think the rod is a bass pro extreme.

Hope this helps

95% of the time I fish weightless usually wacky style, but take into account the worm could weigh up to 3/8 oz or more.

The two casting rods that I currenlty have are:

G. Loomis BCR803GLX, St Croix Avid 6ft 8in, both tips are extra fast for the senko toss.

Now just as important is the casting reel you would use. I have a Daiwa Steez and the Shimano Calais100 and they both work really well, both loaded with 30lbSufix braid. I have tried a Daiwa Fuego, and a Abu Premier and they do not excel at casting lighter weights. The Chronarch MG50 and the core would be great also.

I am now using the Steez with a 10 1/2 ft Avid for floatfishing. It floatfishes and casts very like a dream with only the weight of the float, roebag and splitshots.

Jose

If your wanting it mostly for casting senkos then you should get a spinning reel. If the senko falls off while casting on your bait cast setup you get a really bad backlash.. and bait casters keep the line tight and you want to have slack in your line to let the senko fall correctly. But if you are talking about flipping tubes or worms or other plastics then you could use a bait caster. I prefer to use a bait casting setup over a spinning in almost every situation while bass fishing except with senkos. Doesn't take very long to learn how to pitch and flip and it CAN be done with a cheap reel, even with light tackle.

Accuracy of casts is the big benefit to throwing any lure on a baitcaster. Yes you can skip a dock with a spinning rodeasier but try to cast to a precise point and you have no control. Using a heavier rod allows you to horse a fish out of cover and a baitcasting reel has quicker line pick-up to get a fish away from trouble and to the boat quicker. Open water fishing, I agree spinning would get the job done.

I'm sure Tiger Woods could play a whole round of golf with just a 9 iron and still shoot great but give him the proper tools and look out!

Edited by BigSmallie

Accuracy of casts is the big benefit to throwing any lure on a baitcaster. Yes you can skip a dock with a spinning rodeasier but try to cast to a precise point and you have no control. Using a heavier rod allows you to horse a fish out of cover and a baitcasting reel has quicker line pick-up to get a fish away from trouble and to the boat quicker. Open water fishing, I agree spinning would get the job done.

I'm sure Tiger Woods could play a whole round of golf with just a 9 iron and still shoot great but give him the proper tools and look out!

It is true about accuracy with a baitcaster, but I was assuming he was talking more about plastics lighter than a senko. I throw senkos with my baitcaster as well but if I skipping weightless tubes I will use a spinning outfit. You can stil skip pretty accuratley with a spinning outfit. Pitching and flippin are another story though. If I need to hit an exact spot, you won't beat a baitcasting reel.