Suckers

tonewhy

Hi i'm interested in catching some sucker fish since i heard they are much easier than trout.

I live near the north york area by the Don river. I was wondering would there be any suckers in any near by rivers right now? And would they be closer to the south, or have already moved farther up river?

Thanks,

Tony

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i don't know about your area, but in mine the suckers hit the rivers, usually in april...

hooked into the odd one fishing for steelies.

Old mill park on the humber river, should be soon. I get them on steelhead jig lol but roe bags work amazing. one day I got like 100 in a few hours and they were 2-5 pounds lol. They make for some funny steelhead trip with your buddies... fish on o man its a big one.. then you get a look at what it really is.

remember that you cant fish the dam its a sanctuary just fish under the stone bridge at the park plenty to be had when they come up soon. enjoy

Any river or a creek that runs to lake Ontario will have a sucker run.

Some rivers might be better then other ones tho, with taht i cant really help.

Nice fat dew worm does wonders for these fish and a sinker

I used to fish the Humber quite regularly when I went to school in Toronto...Brought my gear to school and hopped on the TTC after class. Caught lots of suckers in the Old Mill area in mid-April through to late May. I mostly fly fished for them using egg patterns and pieces of chartreuse yarn. Caught 1 beauty redhorse there about 5lbs which was a very nice surprise.

be careful .. fishin for suckers is not allowed in most places where trout season isnt open ... when you get stopped it wont be good enough to tell the CO (and then the Judge) that you were fishin for suckers ... so check your regs carefully BEFORE you go out.

when I was kid I used to catch them by hand at the humber river dam they were in there so thick. They would get stacked up so bad you could kneel on the breakwall,reach down into the water, feel around and pull one out. I remember my body getting his mitts on a carp once...what a shock that was, couldn't land it though but got it up to the surface