1st Baitcast setup?

superchaser

Hi all. New to the forums and like what I see. I'm planning to buy a my first baitcast rod/reel. Not sure exactly what to buy. From what I've read here the Shimano Citica E reel gets a good name and is in my price range. Not too sure what to buy for a rod though (lenght/weight). I fish for pretty much anything that bites (bass/pike/trout/walleye). Any recommendations? Would like to keep combo in $200 range. Bass Pro shows the reel for $119.95 hopefully Canadian. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Hey dude - welcome to the board!

I don't have any experience with the Citica itself, but I'm sure you'll get a ton of feedback here on the board. Do some research, read some reviews, and do yourself a favor and head down to the Bass Pro Shops Spring Classic in Vaughn (if you're close enough) and pick some reels up in your hands. You can even try pairing up a few reels and rods together to see how they feel as a combo before purchasing anything. Everybody has their own pref's when it comes to combo's, so what 1 person suggests and loves might not "feel" right to you. Also, the reason I suggest going during the classic is you might just be able to get a deal on something.

Good luck - and keep asking questions, I'm sure you'll find your answers.

Cheers,

Ryan

find out if you want high speed gears or low speed gears. One is better than the other for different techniques. Eg. crankbaits vs spinnerbaits. That's why one won't do everything for you. Best thing is just go talk to someone at a bait shop. My first baitcaster was a bit cheaper. Then after using for awhile I bought some higher end reels, and did find the performance better. Less backlashing. Longer casting. Keep asking questions.

Like Urban said , most if not all major BRANDS of reels will have good lines from starters right up to top of the line , some guys will tell you one brand and others will scream for another , Best to make a list of the features you want and your price , and than as Urban said go to the store and look at the reels in your price range with the things you want on them and than with reel in hand make your choice . Shimano Citica E is a good starter reel but like I said probably every MAJOR brand has something similar and for you it may be just the one , so many here are caught up on the BRAND thing "I only buy Ford or I only Buy Merc or Shimano etc. etc. Im sure all the top brands have their followers so try a few and find out what is the one FOR YOU , as your the one who will be useing it and paying . for a review of the citica look here "http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocitica200e.html" good luck in finding a reel once you go over to baitcasters you will nevr spin again lol, B

Edited by capt bruce

Thanks for your help guys. Makes a lot of sense what you say. I'll go to BPS and see what thy recommend for an allaround general set up. I see so many different lengths and weights and I'm not sure what each one is for. The reel(Citica E) only comes in left or right retrieve with no other options so I figured I couldnt screw that up.

I agree with the others in that feel is important. For something that you will be holding for hours you want it to feel good.

If I had to pick an all-around rod it would be a 6'6" M-MH rod and you'll need to decide if a 1 piece or 2 piece is what you need. I like 1 piece rods but they are a pain to walk through the bush with so I have a few 2 piece rods as well.

I put a link on another post with some comments on that reel, it appears everyone that has one is happy with it.

I am in the states, that price is what they go for here, usually higher in Canada? Think someone mentioned a reel trade in at Bass Pro Shop, don`t know if it`s still on.

Length? I am taller and prefer rods 6 1/2 to 7 foot but really a matter of choice, generally more casting distance with a longer rod. Your call also on one or two piece rods, I prefer 1 piece.

Brands and cost for a rod? All over the place, you don`t have to spend a fortune to get a decent one, Diawa Heartland, Shimano Convergence, Berkley Lighting rod or others. Something comfortable in your hand will get used more, and even the Bass pro rods are good.

Medium to medium heavy action will do for all but the largest of pike and other species. Line choice is also all over the place. I set some of my baitcasters up with 10 pound line for open water use like Lake Erie, no junk around so I don`t need heavier line. If your fishing most of the time in weeds, wood, rocks a heavier line is a better choice, say 14 to 20 pound test mono or 30? pound braid?

Don`t use braid myself but a lot of guys on the board do and can help you with that. Good Luck with it, may take a bit of time to get the feel but worth it.

The citica is a great reel for the money! I agree that a 6'6" M-MH rod would be a good all purpose rod for now, however when the baitcasting bug hits you may find yourself owning a rod and reel for many different applications. The BPS extreme series is a nice match to that reel. Good luck with the purchase!

I prefer Shimano/G.Loomis rods and reels, because of the warranty and the fact they are in Peterborough close to where I live. However, on Saturday the 21st BPS in Vaughn will have the now discontinued Quantum Accurist PT on sale for $59.99. The Accurist is a very nice reel with a flipping switch and is available with 6.3 or 7.1 gears. I would choose the 6.3 as an all around reel.

A 6'6" MH rod for about 1/4 to 1 ounce baits is a good all around model to start with. Brand isn't very important at this stage of the game. BPS has some decent rods, especially if you can get them on sale...grin.