minden/haliburton ice update?

fishboy

I would say there is prolly more now than there has been all season. Just take care at shore, and stay away from any in/outflowing water.

Sinker

Yep, solid and thick on the main body of lakes, getting thin where there is flow. I am still seeing pickups on the ice on Koshlong.

Waters down about 4' on mountain... I heard they were trying to draw it off the system to protect against flooding.

Not sure where you're getting that info. Mountain Lake is at typical spring levels. That lake can't go down 4': it has a natural rock dam at the outflow that prevents that much fluctuation. They are definitly not drawing the system down right now: they aren't doing anything with the dam at Horseshoe (which controls Mountain Lake).

Not sure where you're getting that info. Mountain Lake is at typical spring levels. That lake can't go down 4': it has a natural rock dam at the outflow that prevents that much fluctuation. They are definitly not drawing the system down right now: they aren't doing anything with the dam at Horseshoe (which controls Mountain Lake).

I'm getting that second hand from my folks who were up there recently. They were saying in front of the place the water is down significantly. So much so that the high water before has stranded their dock in the middle of a muddy beach. Usual spring levels it might be, but wasn't it much higher to begin with?

Either way, Dad was saying the ice by shore is heaved and broken so much he didn't want to take a sled down onto it... but that comment is from a couple of weeks ago.

You fish Mountain? I heard tell that someone pulled a ling through the ice on it. Did you hear this?

Im up at 12 Mile right now and it forsure isn´t 4´ lower. I´m going down to the outflow to see if theres a noticeable difference in the water levels at Mountain. I´ll vouch for Singingdog based on what I´ve seen so far though. Plenty of huts out on the ice and, like Sinker said, the shore ice is fairly thin, but once you walk out a bit, it seems real firm. Still, be careful. I haven´t poked any holes and can´t say how thick it is either way.

Edited by Jigger

I haven't been up but the neighbours sent a pic this week of the deer under the trees standing in snow with the ice-covered lake in the background. I've heard in the last few days from folks who have been out in the area on St. Nora and Kushog.

• 3 weeks later...
if anyone was up the Easter weekend, an update on the melt (he says hopefully) would be great

Anywhere there is current, the lakes are open> Mountain lake, the bay above the dam on 12 mile, both the inflow and outflow of Horseshoe, most of Minden lake: this is all open water.

Lakes with no strong current still have near bank-to-bank ice, but it is getting thin and dark. My guesstimate is that most decent sized lakes will open-up this week. Smaller, tighter lakes may still be another 10 days.

I was up at Kashag this weekend and it is still pretty full of ice. The north side of the lake is clear for 100 feet from shore. Over night this would freeze over again. Noticed that the ice was out of most lakes on the way up until you got to around Coboconk. The cool weather is definitely slowing the melt.