Whitefish

doack

Seeing the Whitefish thread got me thinking. We are heading up on a fly in trip in August, and one of the lakes has Whitefish. What are some methods to land a couple of these guys, are they deep, shallow water fish, jig, do you troll, what types of lures?

Couple of pointers would be much appreciated.

doack,

here's a pic of the jigs we were using.... I was using the 1/4oz blue and silver, tipped with white fish fry and Kevin the 1/4oz glow, tipped with chartreuse fry as shown in the pic below

IMGP1786.jpg

The technique he and I used was to let the jig fall to the bottom, pickup the slack, raise the rod tip a foot and let it fall to the bottom.... we do this 5-6 times then jerk the tip of the rod, making the jig bounce / thump of bottom 5-6 times and repeat the cycle.

We would mix it up.... jig thump jig thump jig.... thump thump thump....and most often when jerking the tip end of the rod would trigger a strike. Gulp fish fry is key ingredient in our presentation, it really works. It's good for other species like perch, crappie, walleyes.... etc

Hope this helps

Leechman

doack,

here's a pic of the jigs we were using.... I was using the 1/4oz blue and silver, tipped with white fish fry and Kevin the 1/4oz glow, tipped with chartreuse fry as shown in the pic below

IMGP1786.jpg

The technique he and I used was to let the jig fall to the bottom, pickup the slack, raise the rod tip a foot and let it fall to the bottom.... we do this 5-6 times then jerk the tip of the rod, making the jig bounce / thump of bottom 5-6 times and repeat the cycle.

We would mix it up.... jig thump jig thump jig.... thump thump thump....and most often when jerking the tip end of the rod would trigger a strike. Gulp fish fry is key ingredient in our presentation, it really works. It's good for other species like perch, crappie, walleyes.... etc

Hope this helps

Leechman

Leechman,

Couple of questions, is that your ice fishing set up for Whitefish or does it work in summer also? We are heading up in August.

What are the Jigs you are using, I have never seen those before? How deep of water in the summer?

Thanks and look forward to your answers.

Blue fox are great... better than paying 6-8 $ for a meegs or badboy

how about supporting the little guy?

you know that the badd boyz and meegs were the originals and they worked so good that a big company had to rip them off.

Badd boyz all the way :thumbsup_anim:

Leechman,

Couple of questions, is that your ice fishing set up for Whitefish or does it work in summer also? We are heading up in August.

What are the Jigs you are using, I have never seen those before? How deep of water in the summer?

Thanks and look forward to your answers.

doack, yes it is our ice fishing setup and will be using it for summer also. Like others said, those are Foxee jigs that you can bye at CTC or Walmart..... there is different sizes and colors..... the ones that was working for us was the 1/4oz Blue silver & white and the glow ones as shown in the pic I posted.

The depth to catch them will vary from lake to lake, just a question of being able to locate them. We were in 20 - 25 fow..... On lake Simcoe, they catch them deeper than that.

They seemed to be feeding on bottom and that is why we had to jig close to it, like I said in my reply, thumping the jig on bottom triggered the strikes.

Good luck on your trip in August :thumbsup_anim:

Hope this helps!

Leechman