Trout Release

hogman3006

I was out with my dad yesterday and the lake trout were biting like crazy. We caught seventeen trout in five hours. My question is, when should you decide to keep a fish knowing it has been wounded. I don't like to keep too many fish and especially try and throw back the big ones. We had a 7 1/2 pounder that was bleeding from the gills. Not profusely, but significantly. We let her go. A side question, is there any way to differentiate between males and females? I have no pics folks, the batteries were dead when we took the camera out and my dad heard about it. I have never had a day of fishing trout like that.

It's a bit of a crap shoot sometimes. Minor damage , even to gills, will heal. A fish's blood will clot in water, but major gill damage is most likely fatal. Some times you just go with your gut.

If it was a Simcoe laker many of them are stocked as a put and take fish, and if your within your limit, there is no reason for you to feel as if you have to put everyone back.

Nice job by the way, I didn't get any yesterday.

Its a problem with Lakers ... thats why I normally stop fishing for them after I have my limit ... their survival rate through the ice (especially from depths over 40 ft) is questionable ... and they do tend to be bleeders.

Bottom line ... (for me at least) after two fish go to a perch, walleye, pike, area or scout out a splake or brookie lake ... but even C&R 17 lakers is certainly not helping the population much.

Guest gbfisher

So when you fish Lake X, you go home after two fish?

Long drive for 10 mins of fishing. :angel:

Trout handle depth change better than most. I think that proper handling should be talked about moslty.

If you do not plan on keeping any and one looks bad. Theres TON of people looking for a good meal of fish.

Hope this helps

Edited by gbfisher

If it was a Simcoe laker many of them are stocked as a put and take fish, and if your within your limit, there is no reason for you to feel as if you have to put everyone back.

Just because simcoe is stocked doesnt make it any different, Large fish are still very important and the numbers of natural trout being caught in the lake is starting to raise dramaticly.

Its a problem with Lakers ... thats why I normally stop fishing for them after I have my limit ... their survival rate through the ice (especially from depths over 40 ft) is questionable ... and they do tend to be bleeders.

Bottom line ... (for me at least) after two fish go to a perch, walleye, pike, area or scout out a splake or brookie lake ... but even C&R 17 lakers is certainly not helping the population much.

Why is depths over 40 questionable? These are Lakers not walleye!

Lake trout have no problem expelling gas, you never see them with their bladder hanging out even when brought up from 100fow+.

They are a hardy fish and as long as they are handled carefully C&R is no problem at all.

A fish bleeding from the gills should be a keeper. I dont keep fish very often but if I damage them then its an obligation to not let them go to waste.

I know its crappy to keep a 7-8lbs fish but its better then it possibly becoming bird food.

Remember the membrane of the gills is what distributes oxygen into the blood of the fish so it can live or "breath" you might say.

how easy would it be to breath with a hole in your lung??

tightlines

Ryan

Edited by troutguy

Guest gbfisher
Just because simcoe is stocked doesnt make it any different, Large fish are still very important and the numbers of natural trout being caught in the lake is starting to raise dramaticly.

Why is depths over 40 questionable? These are Lakers not walleye!

Lake trout have no problem expelling gas, you never see them with their bladder hanging out even when brought up from 100fow+.

They are a hardy fish and as long as they are handled carefully C&R is no problem at all.

A fish bleeding from the gills should be a keeper. I dont keep fish very often but if I damage them then its a obligation to not let them go to waste.

I know its crappy to keep a 7-8lbs fish but its better then it possibly becoming bird food.

Remember the membrane of the gills is what distributes oxygen into the blood of the fish so it can live or "breath" you might say.

how easy would it be to breath with a hold in your lung??

tightlines

Ryan

Your 100 % correct Ryan or else there'd be lots of dead trout floating around after they themselves shoot up 100' or more to attach your lure. Which happens more often than none. Just lack of fishing experience give that kind of misguided attitude.

A slow hand will get you great results. As you of course know already.

Cheers. :Gonefishing:

For sure if you're planning to Catch and Release, I've read in various publications that it helps to bring up the fish slowly. Not slow, slow, but slow enough so the fish can adapt to the change in pressure, increasing its chance for survival.

So when you fish Lake X, you go home after two fish?

Long drive for 10 mins of fishing. :angel:

Yep I agree ... and where I fish its two lakers limit ... I do normally keep them as a) I like to eat them and B) they tend more often than not to be bleeders

In any case its more than once I have switched tactics/locations/lakes after only a few minutes because the limit has been reached .. not complaining though becuase there have been days without even a nibble ... in any case there are ALWAYS alternatives and going home isnt normally my first choice ... I use it as an excuse to go scouting places I havent been and try for other species within my limit.

Just to be clear, I was not criticizing ... merely making a suggestion about alternative ways to enjoy the sport and still

be conservation minded.

And just for the record, besides having a little over 40 years experience, I studied marine biology - so I know just a little about the species. Lakers take a long time in most lakes to grow to harvest size and definitely DO suffer from being caught at great depths ... I am not saying they all die ... but for me at least I dont fish for the ones I dont intend on keeping.