Pikes Strike

waterwolf

Hit Lake x chasing the elusive 40 in. ghost that haunts this lake (of this I'm sure. lol)

Not the perfect conditions for a trophy, but if you don't shoot, you don't score.

With bluebird skies, lack of any snow on the ice and a strong wind blowin' , camp was set up amongst these stumps to prevent my gear from flyin' down the lake at Mach 5.

simcoice.jpg

simcostuff.jpg

With a late bite, the first pike showed up at 11:15 and was iced without event.

Fish #2 was mean, very angry. Had her on for maybe 5 secconds, got off. Checked the bait, adjusted it and sent it back down the hole. 2 seconds later, BAM!! She's back on! While i was removing my hook i saw a deeply rooted hook attached to some mono. Hook was too deep to get at so i tried to trim the mono as much as possible with clippers. She grew impatient and let me know it.

simcoruler..jpg

simcoblood.jpg

The average fish today 28 in.

Dead stickin' sometimes poses a threat to a good relaease due to deep hook-ups. Barbless hooks, extra long pliers, and a delicate touch are critical.

simofishface.jpg

Line or leader rash. Ouch.

simcofishface2.jpg

Best photos of the day are healthy releases. 4 beauty pike went back down the hole.

simcofshinholr2.jpg

simcofshishinhole3.jpg

Days events: 4 iced, 1 lost at the hole, 3 hits missed, a decent day, kept me busy.

Sorry for the lack of imagination with the photos but the cold wind was freezin' the fish up fast, no time to get creative.

Oh yeah, one question, who is this?

Perch, Blue Gill, or Crappie? (2 in. long)

simcominifish.jpg

Great report and pics waterwolf :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like you had a good time out there :Gonefishing:

Nasty fight on the 4th pic you had to put up with :w00t: Yeah pike are unpredictable and trash a lot when out of water.... hope you are OK and not too much damage to your hand :stretcher:

The last pic, tough to identify, it has the markings of the perch and the V in the tail tells me that it's not :dunno:

My guess is a crappie but could be mistaken.... never seen that kind that small.

Again great job and thanks for sharing

Leechman