Is scugog Ice safe?

kingjames_2nd

I was at the local pub last night and ended up chatting to a rather surly fellow. I mentioned to him that I was planning on heading to Scugog this afternoon and he warned me that the ice is real thin and not safe.

I didn’t want to believe him but I thought I had better ask the experts. I looked for any recent threads but didn't see any so I assume it’s probably ok.

How’s it looking out there?

Thanks!

- James

last weekend it was 14" thick in the N/E end of the lake BUT I have not been since. I would guess it is still OK for walking but not for any toys... After all, all huts have to be off this weekend anyway but if you go out use EXTRA care. The Buddy system is in effect for sure...

I was at the local pub last night and ended up chatting to a rather surly fellow. I didn’t want to believe him but I thought I had better ask the experts.

Are you sure that the surly fellow from the bar wasn't from here? The description and the habitat seem to fit. :whistling:

Unfortunately the season is closed now. The last day, yesterday, had over 20" of ice. Seems like lots of arm chair experts feel ice isn't safe after a few rain falls. Think about it this way, when you have a rye&coke, ice cubes last for hours, and that is when you only have ice less than 1" thick with alcohol surrounding the the ice at room temperature which is about 20 degs ( 70 deg for you Southerners). So now think about 20 plus inches of ice exposed to teh surface and the water temp is still 33 deg under the ice. How long do you really think the ice will last? Even if you include current where the water is rushing by. It took the Ganny to loose it's ice 3 days to disappear and that was with heavy rain fall and very fast water to make 3 inches of ice disappear.