garmin handheld topo maps

ctdd2006

Hi all!

Any suggestions on where or how to download the Garmin Maps for a new GPS!?

My wife recently bought me the garmin etrex Venture HC to replace an older Lowrance unit I had that I lost and I just went onto their site and the Canadian Trails maps alone is $156 us and the roads maps are another $100 usd. I don't remember paying near that for the Lowrance.

I don't really want to get into a garmin vs. Magellan vs Lowrance vs. ..... debate. Any suggestions?

Edited by ctdd2006

Topo Canada includes road data so assuming you wish to purchase a Garmin product you do not need to buy two maps. If you are looking for FREE and LEGAL topo maps check out this link. Only downside is that auto routing is not supported.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

Cheers,

Barnie

I probably should mention that the Venture HC is limited in memory size (24mb fixed) so you will have to download map sets as you need them. Topo Canada is very compact considering it contains just about everything you would need. On the off chance this GPS unit can be exchanged try for one that uses MicroSD cards. Then you can load to the limit of memory or limit of map segments (I think the limit of map segments is around 2048 - Garmin NT style maps have larger map segments to assist in avoiding the max segment barrier but these larger map segments make it a trick to load on constrained memory devices like the Venture HC). Also be advised that Topo Canada is not available in an NT version and the maps themselves are a little dated. Not an issue for Topo purposes though. :blahblah1:

Edited by Barnie's Band of Gold

I'm starting to think this unit won't be good for me. I'm assuming since it's from BPS I can work out an upgrade/exchange. Thanks for all the replies and pm's. Essentially all I want is a topo map of ontario for when I'm out hunting new lakes on either my snowmachine or 4wheeler I've got something to work with other than the compass! I like to hunt out secluded speck lakes around here using my stocking list and GPS.

I picked up the GPSmaps76csx...it has an SD card, and if I can figure out how to download some maps off the net that will let me plot routes before uploading them to the unit, it should work like a charm. I chose it over the E-trex after visiting the Garmin site and comparing their models.