Minn Kota Maxxum universal sonar

lew

For my new boat I'm gonna use a 24 volt, 80 pound thrust Minn Kota Maxxum bow mount but am undecided on whether to go with the built-in Universal sonar for the bow mounted Lowrance unit, or go the way I always have with past boats and just clamp the transducer to the motor and run the cable up the shaft and then route it down and into the sonar unit.

I've been kinda leaning towards the Universal set-up, but talked to a guy recently that uses the identical motor and says the image quality is poor with the Universal and I'd be better off doing it the old method.

Any thoughts from those of you familiar with the Universal sonar ??

Guest skeeter99
For my new boat I'm gonna use a 24 volt, 80 pound thrust Minn Kota Maxxum bow mount but am undecided on whether to go with the built-in Universal sonar for the bow mounted Lowrance unit, or go the way I always have with past boats and just clamp the transducer to the motor and run the cable up the shaft and then route it down and into the sonar unit.

I've been kinda leaning towards the Universal set-up, but talked to a guy recently that uses the identical motor and says the image quality is poor with the Universal and I'd be better off doing it the old method.

Any thoughts from those of you familiar with the Universal sonar ??

I would do it the old way personally since you have the stuff anyway?

but lew why bother with the ducer on the trolling motor, on your new boat somewhere on the inside of the hull there should be a spot pre-sanded and prepared for a thru hull transducer link it together with 2 or 3 units on your boat, with skeeter it is is standard well at least in my boat

you can be doing 70 mph and get perfect shot of bottom

Edited by skeeter99

Lew go with the built in transducer BTW my image on my Lowrance is crystal clear depth is usually exactly the same as my main sonar unless I am in shallow water.

One less wire in the way I think whoever you spoke to has another technical problem.Don't forget to order the autopilot feature.

Go for it.

LEW,

Last season MinnKota fixed the interference issue with the built in transducer that had been plaguing them for years on their bow mount motors. I did run a test last season and noticed you get half the targets on the built in vs. the Lowrance add on transducer. So if you can live with less detail and only use the front transducer for depth the built-in will be fine. Otherwise I would recommend going with the lowrance bow mount transducer for the best detail of targets.

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker

I run the US2 in my max pro to the 520C up front- there is some definition softening for sure....I can still see them on the drop shot, and weed lines are easily defined so I'd rather not put up with the external trans busting off and wire pinching off when the trade off in definition is so subtle. I guess it depends though......if I were running tourny's I would like to see those air bladders 2-3feet down in the weeds like I do wih my rear unit.

If its for weekend warrior fishing, the ease of use is what it's all about. If it's for going up against Izumi, I think he runs external on the motorguide!

RR

Hi Lew,

I have been running the US and US2 for about 4 years now and haven't really had any complaints about it. I have had both Lowrance and more recently Humminbird graphs on the bow and I depend on finding smallies tight to bottom in 25-45 feet of water and have had no issues. The first year they had to add a grounding wire but since then and up to the new US2 it has been great... the temp is a nice bonus as well.

There is no wire around the motor shaft to worry about and not as much damage to the puck if you decide to beach it or bump a rock... Clean and easy is always nice, especially at the casting deck area...

Just my two cents

JP