Lock jawed whitefish - what to do?

jat

I was at Innisfil beach today and marked fish but none bother taking a swipe. I was using Williams wabler, foxee jiggin minnow, shad rap, jigs, dead minnow near bottom, etc...using 8 lb trilene...any thoughts, everywhere I moved to day it was the same story. How did everyone else do?

Maybe you were marking Herring? Did you have any of your baits tipped with minnows? Did you vary your presentation -- leaving it on bottom...slowly reeling up to get them to chase it...long freefalls to entice a hit while it drops....?? could have been a certain colour that they wanted....could have just been they were not in the mood...?

Well don't feel bad, we just got back and cursed a blue streak for about 4 hours, lots fish on bottom, jig up a bit, they would follow, reef it up they would chase it, only 4 hits and 2 minnows lost with nothing to show for it. Ah, that's fishing, better outside than flopping on the sofa.

Edited by Fisherman

I found them to be pretty scattered when I was out on wed. I got 3 whities and a laker, all on different jigs. Just keep switching it up. When it gets really tough, I go with 4lb floro, small hooks, and a slip float with live minnows. Set one right on bottom, and have a top hook a foot or two off bottom. Usually, this will get me a fish to save the day. They can be pretty sneaky, so keep a close eye on your lines. If you even suspect a bite, set the hook!!

Sinker

I found them to be pretty scattered when I was out on wed. I got 3 whities and a laker, all on different jigs. Just keep switching it up. When it gets really tough, I go with 4lb floro, small hooks, and a slip float with live minnows. Set one right on bottom, and have a top hook a foot or two off bottom. Usually, this will get me a fish to save the day. They can be pretty sneaky, so keep a close eye on your lines. If you even suspect a bite, set the hook!!

Sinker

do you have a pic of your minnow setup?...........what type of floro do you use? thanks

No pics, but its just a single hook on bottom, a split shot about 6" up from that, then a micro 3 way swivel, with another hook on about 6" of line off that. The split shot sits right on bottom. I vary the distance off bottom of the 3 way, depending on what I"m marking. It can be a foot off bottom or sometimes up to 5ft off bottom. Just remember that its there when your getting near the hole, and don't stick that hook in your hand!! I use #14 thin wire, wide gap hooks, and hook the minnow just behind the dorsal fin so they swim up. Essentially, you want that bottom minnow swimming up in the fish's face.

I'm running seaguar fluoro on my set lines. 4lb test for everything. You don't have to keep much pressure on to keep those tiny hooks in, just be patient bringing the fish up, they'll come up. If your float even wiggles in the hole, set the hook as fast as you can......they tend to pick it up, and spit it out just as quick. Those tiny minnows won't move your float in deep water. If it moves, its a fish down there.

Sinker