E-Trex(Yellow) and Magellan 315 comparison

holdfast

First as a disclaimer Ive always used a Magellan and the 315 being my second GPS, I have used it for about six years including the Arctic and Wet Weather with no problems. If I'm wrong about the E-Trex let me know as I used it only once, so I'm a Newbie. My biggest reason for buying the E-trex is that I wanted to try something different and my pet peeve with the Magellan is that it litterly kills my Batteries. I have to always carry at least one spare set

Magellan- Ive used this for six years and use it mostly for position. What I like about it is-you have all your buttons on the face clearly marked. There are 8 buttons, as well as an arrow button. The E-trex has 5 which includes your two arrow buttons. Consequently on the E-Trex you have to scroll through the pages vice going direct.

Magellan Buttons are. QUIT/ENTER/NAV/MARK/GOTO/MENU/LIGHT/PWR/ARROWS

E-Trex Buttons are/ARROWS/ENTER/PAGE/POWER

P2190003.jpg

Pros Magellan

- start up and then it will automatically give a grid once ready. E-Trex I have to flip 3 pages to get grid

- Directly hit Mark and grid is saved. E-Trex I have to remember to hit enter, then hit enter again

- GOTO is direct E-Trex I have to flip through 5 pages just to get to my way-points/ then I have to enter again just to get to the way-point/Go-TO

Bottom line is that the Magellan is faster to get to Business, more Direct, and you can Sequence your Nav pages for the user based on his priorities. I like the E-Trex in that it is smaller, lighter, and if you like to look at your tracking its map is superior than the 315. But most important for me is the Batteries last for ever. However, when I do any Military navigation, I will always use the Magellan as it is more direct. I don't have time to fiddle around the buttons and pages. When I navigate I rarely use the GPS for anything other that POSITION and DISTANCE TO. I can get both readings on the same page which I can sequence as a first flip with the Magellan, not so with the E-Trex. If I had the E-Trex, I would probably chuck it at the enemy as Id be frustrated going through pages to find what I want. However with the E- Trex I wouldn't have to worry about saving power. My recommendations would be the Magellan 315 over the E-Trex.

Personally Ive heard a lot of Magellan bashing but unless you tried both I would not dis them, as I find them far superior as being, user friendly.

Edited by holdfast

I have both as well, and until my Magellan just up and quit on me, I preferred it as well. I'd prolly get another, but the e trex is doing its job so far.

I agree with pretty much everything you said in your comparison as well.

Sinker

We use the E-Trex at work and like you said, it's a bit of a pain to get to the right screen and if you hit the wrong button, you have to start all over again, but you're right about the batteries, they last a long time. I've heard that a number of people have had grief with Magellan products and next to no help from the company, items like the buttons failing to work and bnot being able to access info on the GPS, hmmm, like when you need to get back to camp it quits on you, not good. I still like my 10 year old Lowrance, maybe not 1 metre accuracy, but I don't need that.