Fishing Near and Around Toronto

ben306

Hi all.

Did a quick search on google and this forum popped up so thought Id sign up.

Basically after advice on places to fish close to toronto or within easy reach on public transport.

Im currently in the UK but my girlfriends lives and works in downtown Toronto, and Im looking to join her around June time this year.

I do alot of fishing here in the UK, mainly course angling.

I've all intentions to get a bit of a set up (rod/reel/terminal gear etc) once Im out there, but want to make sure there are places within easy reach 1st, as the last few visits out to Toronto has made me realise just how vast the place is.

also, what are the requirements in terms of permits and licences? I know back here in the UK I need to have a valid licence and permits.

Also whats the main methods and target fish?

Sorry for all the questions, but any suggestions very much appriciated.

Ben

Welcome to the board Ben...I don't fish in Toronto myself but lots here do, fishing is fairly easy to get to there...if you use the boards search engine you'll find tonnes of info. You can pick up a licence easily at pretty much any tackle shop, not sure of the cost for non residents....no permits required. In T.O. there are plenty of different species to target from Pike, Carp, Bass and Salmon...lots of others I'm sure.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will be able to give you more info...

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

Welcome aboard Ben.

There are many species in and around the urban areas of Toronto you can target, here's a link to a document from the ontario ministry of natural resources which shows you a list of species in various locations around the city.

Urban Fishing Opportunities

It really depends on what you're after, since you fish in UK you might be more interested in going after Pike and Carp? :dunno: In June, carp action should be fired up and you can potentially get 40+ pound fish.

As far as license goes, check out this web site ... Fishing license

Make sure you read the fishing regulations and be familiar with it before you head out.

Good luck.

Victor

Thanks for the info on licences. Looks like toronto islands will be worth a shot.

Back over here, fish I target which are the same to what you have there are Perch, Pike, trout and Carp. To be honest, Ive never had the opportunity to target any of the other fish you have there.

Similar methods then? Bottom fish or float tactics for the carp/perch (obviously baits and tackle to suit) and then lure fishing for pike/perch?

What methods am I likely to pick up the other species you have over there?

Welcome to the forum

Lots of places to fish around Toronto accessible by public transit. Up until last year the bus, subway, street car and ferry were the only forms of transportation I had on a regular basis for my fishing. I did get funny looks bringing 12’ carp rods or 13’steelhead float rods on the bus though. Every year I meet up with a few friends from the UK and take them around to the harbourfront or to the Toronto islands for carp and they have a blast.

June is a great time of year to come to Toronto… There’s great fishing to be had and it’s also the beginning of mini-skirt season :thumbsup_anim:

Hope you enjoy your trip over

Drop me a pm when you're in town.

Snag, for god sakes mang don't dress up in drag when you meet these new anglers..

We want them to leave Toronto with a lasting impression of the fishing savy here, not of you dressed in your wife's best Sunday dress.

Ben, bring a stout seven footer and some stick baits. The Fox guide to legering and paternostering doesn't help much here unfortunately.

Welcome to the board, and good luck!

HD

I have never fished in the TO area, but from what I hear there are plenty of opportunities. I can however help you out with some techniques for bass (which I don't think you've caught). They are probably the easiest fish to catch in these parts. Almost any tackle will work, but your best off retrieving a spinner bait along weedlines, pulling a top water across some lilly pads, or throwing a soft plastic into some slop. you will surely hit some largemouth, and the odd smallmouth this way. If targeting smallies specifically throwing tubes around rock piles would probably be your best bet.

Since you mentioned fishing Toronto Island I'm going to ask someone else (more familiar) to clarify something. I believe you may need a special permit in addition to your license to fish this area? I think I remember someone saying that, but it may have only been for boat fishing (harbour license).

Since you mentioned fishing Toronto Island I'm going to ask someone else (more familiar) to clarify something. I believe you may need a special permit in addition to your license to fish this area? I think I remember someone saying that, but it may have only been for boat fishing (harbour license).

that only applies if you're fishing the harbor in a motorized boat.

I heard alot of people go fishing at night in the Jarvis Street area :)

Thanks for all the replies :)

TBH I have never had the chance to fish for walleye or bass before, can only asume its similar methods to what I would use here back in the UK for Pike and Perch.

Ill defo be in touch once Im out there and might take a few of you up on the offer of showing me whats what locally.