Rod Suggestions

bluesky1713

I'm looking into buying another ultralight rod for ice fishing as well as a 5'-6' ultralight for soft water (brook trout, smallmouth, etc.). What are your recommendations, where can it be purchased and, also, what ultralight rod do you use personally for hard water as well as soft water?

I currently am using a Berkley Lightning Rod for ice fishing (I think it's probably Light-Med action), and I do not own an ultralight rod for soft water.

Edited by bluesky1713

For softwater, many manufacturers are now making 1 piece UL rods that are 7ft in length. I think the extra length will give you more flexibility with casting and also in the event you do hook something bigger on it you will have more leverage to land it on lighter line.

My ultralite set up is REALLY cheap. Im talking walmart $27 cheap and I love it.

Ultraliting can save a day when the bite is off, a 12 inch crappie is a blast on an ultralite. Also last year landed an 18" largie on the UL. That was a blast!

My ultralite set up is REALLY cheap. Im talking walmart $27 cheap and I love it.

Ultraliting can save a day when the bite is off, a 12 inch crappie is a blast on an ultralite. Also last year landed an 18" largie on the UL. That was a blast!

kemper, I am curious as to what rod and reel you are using.

How long is the rod and what pound test are you using? And which reel are you using with the rod.

Thanks a lot - carp-starter

PS:- Those are excellent fish that you caught

I've got a bunch of U.L.'s, 51/4' 1pc IMX, 5' 2PC GL3, 6' 2pc HMG/AV, and a bunch of other cheaper ones.

My favourite by far is a 7' 2pc St. Croix Avid rated 2-6lb test (model#AS70ULM2).

The extra length is great to have compared to traditional shorty U.L.'s and the Avid is a pretty sweet rod.

Highly recommended.

kemper, I am curious as to what rod and reel you are using.

How long is the rod and what pound test are you using? And which reel are you using with the rod.

Thanks a lot - carp-starter

PS:- Those are excellent fish that you caught

to be honest, im not exactly sure.

Next time Im at home ill try to remember to check and shoot you a PM