Sled or Quad for ice fishing?

motion

A quad would not have gone where I went today, that is FOR SURE!!

A sled MIGHT have made it, but I wouldn't have tried it. LOL

But seriously, a machine solely for icefishing is a sled. PERIOD.

If you only fish thru the ice a few times a year, and pick your days......then a quad would be better for YOU.

Sinker

All great points. Thanks for confusing me more.......LOL. Seriously though, I think Jr. and I may get more use from quad. We may have to be a little more patient and may have to pick our days and spots to pop the holes. Anyhow, if anybody knows of decent quad, let me know.

Sled or quad?

From what I understand about that area, if I were fishing Simcoe (and I could get only ONE machine) I would get a quad. Most of the time you will be in little snow, and at times when you are not, you will have compacted snowmobile tracks you can follow to almost anywhere. No worries about burning out sliders in glare ice conditions, you can pack a lot of gear without needing a trailer, and in almost all conditions except deep snow, you will be able to go wherever a sled goes.

I would, however, get a machine that is 4x4 and large (2 up seat and lots of rack/bin space). I would not settle for 4x2. In that case I'd rather go with a sled.

No machine is perfect for everything and all conditions. But I can use my quad regularly here on Nipissing in all but the deepest snow cover, and I can use it for bush riding in the other seasons as well.

There have been slush conditions where my sled didn't have a hope in hell of pulling my ice hut off the lake in March, and yet the quad bulled it out without a pause. Not all quads are the same, just as not all sleds are the same. It's a bit of the luck of the draw, especially if you're buying used. You can only go by word of mouth and general principles (like you know a 4x4 will go where a 4x2 can't). You won't know how your machine works in certain conditions until you put it into those conditions! And as you learn, you'll learn to pick your days and conditions so your machine works the best.

Oh yeah, a quad also works A LOT better if you have to travel some gravel road to get onto a lake. When everything's melting and wet, but the ice is still beautiful, I have sometimes cursed the gravel I had to drive my sled on to get to a lake.

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

If u are after whities and lakers on simcoe. A sled is the only way to go. I'm usually out at least 3-4 miles. Not to many sled trails for an atv to follow out there. Year in year out there are a lot of slush beds to deal with. Some years worse than others. I have never got stuck with my sleds but have pulled out quite a few quads, even a few 800cc models. If its only for icefishing which is done in the winter why would you even think of getting anything other than a seld. Also a used atv can just be a whole heap of problems..... Who knows how many times it was lost inside mud holes. Get a sled...... have a look around the lake id say 80% sleds if not more! Good luck with whatever you do get!

for getting cheap ATV's buy in the states! im planning on purchasing an 09 grizzly 550 with power steering this year and the camo version lists for $6,600 at one dealer. the EXACT same ATV is listed for $11,300 at the local yamaha dealer. even with the exchange, duty, taxes, gas, etc it will still be around $3,000 cheaper buying from the US. only a few hundred bucks extra for delivery to the border as well...

canadians are getting raped as usual. even the can am ATV's that are made in CANADA are much cheaper in the US...

Right now on simcoe ( the big lake where theres no trails) a 2wd quad wouldnt make it anywhere. My buddy took his 2wd quad out to his hut thats about 1 km out and he had to push it 90% of the time. I would buy a sled 100% for fishing. You get to your spots faster plus its nice and comfy to sit on while fishing. I doubt after this weekend even the biggest quads would make it anywhere because there is going to be alot of slush.

I think the other reasons I was thinking quad was the fact that I will be throwing it the back of my pick up and I think they are a little smaller in size and easier to jockey around my small garage.

yea right. sled would be easier, use a snowbank to put it in, then just slide it out and let it drop to take it off. For the garage you can get dollies with casters that go under the skis and track to wheel it around

yea right. sled would be easier, use a snowbank to put it in, then just slide it out and let it drop to take it off. For the garage you can get dollies with casters that go under the skis and track to wheel it around

because theres always going to be a snow drift for ya, right?

atv's are a little shorter and are very easy to spin around because you can often grab the bumpers and be at a good height for lifting. sleds are usually lower and tend to be harder on the back when moving them around without wheels. atv's are also easier to get outta deep snow when you get stuck.

you could debate this until the cows come home but in the end neither is perfect.

Edited by ch312

because theres always going to be a snow drift for ya, right?

atv's are a little shorter and are very easy to spin around because you can often grab the bumpers and be at a good height for lifting. sleds are usually lower and tend to be harder on the back when moving them around without wheels. atv's are also easier to get outta deep snow when you get stuck.

you could debate this until the cows come home but in the end neither is perfect.

well i said snowbank, either way.

and whats deep snow for a ATV, 1-2 feet? where as a sled would get stuck in like 4 feet, and theres a very easy way of getting a sled unstuck which wouldnt work with a quad.

it could go forever

Great topic :clapping::canadian: ...I have a 4x4 Kawasaki 650 BruteForce ATV and it gets me to most of my backwoods lakes almost all year long, except for when we get a winter with lots of snow!! :wallbash: ......the quad is powerful, but the ITP Mudlite tires just dig down in deep snow to a point where the bike gets hung up on the undercarriage and then that's it...you're done!!

I also have an older sled that my wife uses now but even then, I've had nightmare trips burying it in deep snow while trying to break trail gettin' into some of the trout lakes. and then having to pull it out .. :stretcher:

This is my next purchase for the ATV and then there's no stopping me as far as where I can get to year round!!!...

The track kit is a little steep ($3800), but I figure it would cost me around the same $$$$ to buy a used sled.....on top of that I'd have to pay insurance for the sled and then spend the $$$ on yearly maintenance....

I guess if money is no object then that would be the perfect solution. Kinda the best of both worlds. Money is tight so that is out for me. I am going to look at that Yamaha moto four tomorrow. I am worried though that it is only a two wheel drive and only a 250 cc engine. I have been told by some it will be fine and by others it wont. i guess the only way to find out is to try it in the snow and see what she does.

My first ATV was an '84 Yamaha Tri-Moto 250cc. That thing could go through some TURRIBLE mud and even though I'm a big guy it seemed to have plenty of power for getting around. You're talking a 4-wheeler which will be better for keeping your front end up, though it will also be somewhat heavier.

I'm thinking that all-round, you could be happy enough with it, if you tell yourself from the outset that you will NOT be going out on the ice in all conditions. Some winters you'll be out there often, others you'll be biding your time on shore til you get the conditions you prefer.

We all make compromises because of money (doesn't grow on trees) and/or preferences (i.e. small boat that's handy for getting into tough spots but when you decide you want to get on big water... oops! no damn good for that!)

Anyway, if you pick this machine up and use it this month, it would be fun to hear how it works for you. Good luck.

for getting cheap ATV's buy in the states! im planning on purchasing an 09 grizzly 550 with power steering this year and the camo version lists for $6,600 at one dealer. the EXACT same ATV is listed for $11,300 at the local yamaha dealer. even with the exchange, duty, taxes, gas, etc it will still be around $3,000 cheaper buying from the US. only a few hundred bucks extra for delivery to the border as well...

canadians are getting raped as usual. even the can am ATV's that are made in CANADA are much cheaper in the US...

Can Am atvs are assy'd in Mexico