I fought the skunk...and the skunk won!

johnnyb

As the result of my lovely wife having to work last minute on Sunday, I ended up on my own for some ice-fishing yesterday. I figured it was a good opportunity to try out a back lake that I’ve been eying for some time, along with a few hours on Bernard lake in Sundridge, where I’ve never been.

I had everything planned out….I left the house nice and early (4:00am)…and I was brimming with confidence. While it wasn’t a terribly bad trip…I bagged more “lessons learnt” than fish. :whistling:

Lesson #1: Don’t put your faith in Google Maps. Okay, I know this one sounds obvious, but the satellite imagery made it look like the lake I wanted had a road going right up to it. Thank goodness for the guys having their coffee in the Trout Creek general store at 7:00am…they at least pointed me down a road that wasn’t private…unlike Google. Drove a few more kms than required, but at least got to a lake….followed some sled tracks onto it, and set up where some people had been fishing off a likely looking point.

n595006200_2480572_9988.jpg

n595006200_2480571_9641.jpg

Not too long in, my set line started screaming…I ran over and promptly lost something rather spunky. Then it happened again about 20 minutes later!

Lesson #2: Set the hook! :wallbash:

The slush where I was set up was pretty nasty, but, on my walk off the lake, I found some nice hard ice and though I’d pop a couple holes off another point. Popped through the ice and into something hard. Log? Rock? I dunno…hard enough to blunt the blade on my auger. *sigh* Decided it was a good time to head for Sundridge…and hoped that the outfitters had Fin-bore blades in stock.

Got to Lake Bernard by noon, and have to say that the bait shop is great…also for sale, FYI. They had blades…installed them for me, and directed me to where I could drive onto the lake.

I have to say, driving out on the lake is always cool…and yes Wayne, I had my seatbelt off and window down  Got out to about 80 FOW, just past a drop from 45, with a good sized group of other anglers. The guy beside me had a couple whitefish, and the guy beside him had a laker on the hood of his truck, so I figured things were looking up.

n595006200_2480573_345.jpg

Tried some spoons, then tubes, then lost another fish! At least I had this one on for about 5 seconds…felt pretty good, but, the smell of skunk was getting stronger. <_<

Got bored…tried to get the self-timer to work on the camera…this could be my new favourite portable hut...

n595006200_2480574_688.jpg

By the time it was getting dark, I got to learn another valuable lesson: don’t wait ‘till the end of the day to try something different!

Since I had thrown the tackle box down the hole, I figured I’d go with the ugliest, barest jig head in my collection, with a lone minnow stuck on it. Hanging over 80 feet, I found it odd that my line stopped only 5 feet down. Started reeling and hey! I’ve got a fish!!! Wait…no…I’ve LOST another fish. Time to go home.

And of course..lesson # 4: Don’t go fishing without Laker Jessy. Or so she tells me…. :stretcher:

n595006200_2480575_1022.jpg

skunky pants!....lol

I dunno whats happening here...seems a bit of a pattern....are we all using the same barbless hooks...you, Leechman and myself seem to be losing a lot of fish that seem hooked.

Great report JB.......sounds like you found a nice reef...shame you found it with your auger though....mind you...better finding it with the auger than the skeg of your outboard( yes...i've learned that lesson too....lol).

It certainly is convenient to drive out onto lakes. I'm headed for walleye today...onto a lake i tried to get into this summer....no chance...the road?track in was toast....maybe with the snowmachine we will do better. I have a bad feeling about getting stuck or something today....we'll see.

I agree...you should have taken LJ with ya!

Skunky-pants indeed :lol: I'll shake it off...soon...I hope! Good luck today, limey! The unconscious mind doesn't know the difference between thinking about getting stuck, and thinking about NOT getting stuck....so think about the fish, not the truck!! LOL