Brook Trout - where are they now?

Bluegill

Hello

Today I caught a nice Brookie, 14 inches trough the ice on Northern Ontario near Elliot Lake.

I was surprised to catch this trout in shallow water, 7 feet, on the sunny northshore of the lake.

Last time I tried to catch Brookies on the south end of the same lake in deeper water, 15 feet, but with no success.

Is that a general rule at this time that Brookies qre in shallow water under the ice near the shore?

The Brookies I caught last time were full of black water bugs.

Does anybody know where do theses bugs live now? Under the ice or at the bottom?

Tnx for all kind answers in advance.

predominently specks at this time of year are in 18" of water to about 7-8 feet. you may catch the odd one in 15 feet or so but as a general rule come winter time they head for the shallows, try fishing around some down trees or logs if you can they like to prey on bait around them and as for the black water beatles and other bugs they are often found on bottom, also specks can be full of frogs sometimes digging them out of the mud in the winter.

hope this is a good enough answer for ya

Matt!

Edited by BassAsin

Your avatar says your from Germany. Are you visiting?

Regarding your questions, the spot you described catching your trout is literally a textbook example of where to fish.

The most active fish are definitely shallow, usually less than 10' deep. Their winter hangouts are very similar to their spring/fall softwater haunts.

Look for visible structure like large trees fallen into the lake or beaver houses and drill your holes right next to them.

As far as the bugs go they were most likely a beetle of some sort. Brook trout are opportunistic and will eat pretty much whatever's available.

Personally my best success through the ice has been jigging flashy spoons 1/4oz or less tipped with a small minnow.

The fish are in the shallows for a reason....to feed, and they're usually aggressive.

You're allowed 2 lines so it never hurts to fish a live minnow on a set line in your other hole.

Specks can be anywhere in the winter. The water temp is the same throughout the whole water column, so they can litterally be anywhere.

Those black water bugs your talking about will often be right under the ice. I've caught some of my best specks in iches of water under the ice. Sometimes I'll even stir up the bottom with a stick to get their attention. They're curious little buggers!!!!

Sinker

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

brook trout will vary from day to day. i have caught brookies in winter in as little as 3 f.o.w. and as deep as 20 in winter. when they are feeding on aquatic invertebrates they will often be found shallow however... i can recall a day where the only time you caught a fish was just after you drilled the hole because it was stirring up the bottom in the shallow water. we ended up just sticking the auger down the hole to stir it up in pre-existing holes once we figured it out. likely the bugs you speak of were benthic inverts.

Those are water boatman. The will travel on the surface of the ice, under the water....if you can make sense of that. I've caught lots of brookies with those in thier bellies......fish shallow, and stir the bottom with a stick. Just try it and see what happens!!

Sinker