Cold snap...

Garry2Rs

So my buddy said "It's too cold and windy to fish today!"

"Ask your wife if you can have your Man Card back and let's get going." I retorted.

I was a windy day for sure. There were white caps on the reservoir.

It was only in the 60's this morning and we didn't get down to "T" shirts until we got off the water around 2:30.

We would have carried on longer, because it was getting nicer every minute, but I was running out of trolling battery after fighting the wind for 5 hours.

For lures, he was tossing a Storm swim-bait and a Rattle-trap.

I chose a DT10 in Bluegill and a Yum Dancing Eel.

We first tried drifting down the lea-side of the main canal, casting with the wind, and retrieving back across the deep water.

Then we drifted with the wind across the open lake part, concentrating on weed and reed beds, but also casting to open water as we went.

Finally we followed the west shore around until we were going north, headed into the wind.

In this section we were casting to shoreline reeds, toolies and scrub palms etc..

On a small point of reeds, I hooked up with a nice three pounder on the Eel...

002-2.jpg

So my buddy said "It's too cold and windy to fish today!"

"Ask your wife if you can have your Man Card back and let's get going." I retorted.

I was a windy day for sure. There were white caps on the reservoir.

It was only in the 60's this morning and we didn't get down to "T" shirts until we got off the water around 2:30.

We would have carried on longer, because it was getting nicer every minute, but I was running out of trolling battery after fighting the wind for 5 hours.

For lures, he was tossing a Storm swim-bait and a Rattle-trap.

I chose a DT10 in Bluegill and a Yum Dancing Eel.

We first tried drifting down the lea-side of the main canal, casting with the wind, and retrieving back across the deep water.

Then we drifted with the wind across the open lake part, concentrating on weed and reed beds, but also casting to open water as we went.

Finally we followed the west shore around until we were going north, headed into the wind.

In this section we were casting to shoreline reeds, toolies and scrub palms etc..

On a small point of reeds, I hooked up with a nice three pounder on the Eel...

002-2.jpg

Great fish man!! Have you tried out any other color patterns at all, and if soo, how well do they work, and which pattern has worked best for you? I plan on getting a YUM dancin eel myself, but i want to get a good idea of what pattern to buy.

Nice catch Gary! Especially on dancing eel! A lure of a thousand casts for me ,er, and nothing to show for it. Think it`s parked in the barn next to the Doll Top Secrets, a lure so secret the fish didn`t know they could eat them! Except for one dumb pike that hit one at night.

Ya just never know?

You can see here that the water in this reservoir is stained a light brownish-green.

DSCN1214.jpg

This seems to make the fish much paler in colour than I am used to.

The main forage in this spot is Sunfish.

Here's a little one that fell out of a Bass I caught. This is a fresh kill not half digested.

020.jpg

Notice how light the markings are.

That's probably why the most popular bait colours for this lake are chartreuse and white.

Chartreuse seems to work well everywhere, so I bought the #14, Chartreuse Shad.

ChartreuseShad.jpg

For fishing in the clear water of the North Kawartha area next Summer, I might choose

colours like the grey #12 Dancin' Shad, the dark green (Baby Bass looking) #15 Tad Pole.

Maybe a #13 Golden Tiger, as a Perch or Sunfish imitator and there's the new #99 Foxy Shad.

This is a dark back over tan sides with a white belly that looks sort of like a Rock Bass to me.

These colour numbers were taken from the BPS catalog and their web site.

When selecting bait colours, the rule of thumb is to match the hatch.

If you're not sure what your target is feeding on, it's always a safe bet to match the colour of the bottom.

The forage, in a given area, will always camouflage itself to match the bottom colour.

Yes, I have had plenty of hits on pink Flukes, but sandy browns, chartreuse, watermelon green, silver, grey and white are my first choices.

Gary any weeds in that lake? Largemouth I have caught in lakes or ponds with little or no weed cover tend to be much lighter than lakes or ponds with a lot of weeds. No idea if it is natural camouflage or perhaps something in the diet of their food supply.

I agree on the colors, clean or light colored water, light lure, dark murky water, dark lure.

When I got here in October the weeds were so thick you could almost walk across.

The first cool nights knocked them down.

By-the-way...

I just called BPS to place an order...They are short staffed because of severe weather

Does anyone know were their call centre in the USA is?

I'm thinking Colorado.

Anyway, I thought I'd let you know that something big is coming and it won't be rain...grin.

I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn't imagine that the weather could be that bad in Southern Missouri...

I had occasion to call them back and, you're right.

Evidently the had freezing rain followed by a big snow fall.

I suppose that they don't have proper snow plows etc. and things seem worse than they might up north...