As a centerpin angler, do you put counter-weight on your rods?

okumasheffield

As a centerpin angler, do you put counter-weight on your rods?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. As a centerpin angler, do you put counter-weight on your rods?

• Yes
    • No - Leave it as is

Duude how old are you?! :blink:

If your arm feels too tired after a day of pinning, it might mean that you set up is tip heavy. If you've got slidding rings as opposed to a fixed reel seat, position your reel accordingly. I'm told that it's difficult to balance a float rod simply because of the extra length you're dealing with. One thing I've learned though, the wheight of the reel should correspond with the length of the rod.

Some float rods come with a counter balance built in to the handle. A ounce of wheight at the butt section goes a long way sometimes, but not always.

Why is it that pinners are such attention seakers? Solo, I'm looking in your direction!! :D:P

BOINK

HD

Never!! You don't need it if you hold your rod properly.

I've run nothing but 15 and 16 foot rods since the 80's.

I can fish 12 hours a day with no arm problems.

I hold my rod so that the butt cap either rests on my elbow or against my body and cradle my pin in my palm.

This way you don't get torque on your elbow (this is what causes the issue with most people).

Unless you are using a heavy spey conversion you will never even notice any tip weight holding it this way.

I had big issues when I first starting to use a centerpin. I was holding it like I would if I were vertical fishing for pickerel :) Didn't take long for my wrist to really start to ache. After a few pointers from a seasoned pinner, no more issues. Like Drifter said, I usually stick the butt into my side and use some leverage instead of holding the entire weight of the setup.

Your rods to heavy, and adding more weight will only strain your wrist more when casting... SOLUTION ??? buy a Loomis ;)

You dont need a $500 rod unless your an attention seeking steelheader. When I first started off fishing steel I used a 10.5ft shimano rod and I could put just as many fish on the bank as those guys with they custom rods and all that crap. If you have sliding rings on your rod for your reel just play around with the position of the reel. I had the same problem with my IM6 when I bought it and that is what I did to fix the problem. I like my reel to sit high on the cork so I have a longer section to put under my arm when Im fighting a fish. I dont think that your rod is the problem, I think its where you have your reel sitting. You can go and buy a new rod if you want but whether you pay 100 or 500 for a rod they all make the same sound when they snap.

You dont need a $500 rod unless your an attention seeking steelheader. When I first started off fishing steel I used a 10.5ft shimano rod and I could put just as many fish on the bank as those guys with they custom rods and all that crap. If you have sliding rings on your rod for your reel just play around with the position of the reel. I had the same problem with my IM6 when I bought it and that is what I did to fix the problem. I like my reel to sit high on the cork so I have a longer section to put under my arm when Im fighting a fish. I dont think that your rod is the problem, I think its where you have your reel sitting. You can go and buy a new rod if you want but whether you pay 100 or 500 for a rod they all make the same sound when they snap.

I don't think that (most of us) who fish for steelhead (Ill try not to generalize with pinners/steelheaders etc) are really about the "NEED" for more and more rods, or custom ones. For me anyways, its more about the pleasure of using a custom rod or a really nice rod. I also have an older Fenwick 10'6" that landed me tons of steel and is a pleasure to use, but its cheap compared to a couple of my other rods. Does this stop me from using it? NO ... but if I want to use my custom, or maybe purchase a nice factory build then why not?

I like to think of it this way... If you had the cash, and you opened your garage and looked in at a 1999 Dodge Caravan, and a British racing green 1969 Aston Martin DB6 Vantage, which one do you take for a sunday drive?

I know which one I would drive.

Sorry for getting off topic... NO WEIGHTS

You can go and buy a new rod if you want but whether you pay 100 or 500 for a rod they all make the same sound when they snap.

Great analogy :rolleyes: I see why you call yourself "fishnpro"

FYI I have a brand new Okuma Aventa 13ft to add to your arsenal for $50 ... I have read dozens of positive reviews on this great stick and apparently it sounds just like an IMX when it snaps :w00t:

I've never put counter-weights into any of my rods. I figure that while a rod may seem less tip heavy with weight shoved in the butt end, the rod itself will be heavier which could lead to problems somewhere else.

With tip heavy rods, I just shove the butt end of the rod underneath my armpit and keep my arm and hand close to the body. If you have sliding rings, move the reel up or down to find the spot that feels right for you - that's probably the easiest and least expensive way to achieve comfort.