Bancroft/Minden Brookies

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Greetings...

I've been looking through the stocking lists...Anybody have good experience with some of the backcountry brookie opportunities in the area? Not necessarily looking for big numbers, more a lake with some bigger fish. An info swap for Algoma District could be arranged.

Cheers!

Hey doc -- welcome aboard. Just go to THIS web page There is a ton of info on this site...most importantly..stocking lists! Just click on the drop down menu near the top of the page that says "Select a Stewardship Council" Pick the region you want, and many of them will have stocking lists posted :) Tell you what...pick a few lakes, and instead of sending info back my way, just call me up and show me how to nail brookies through the ice :D It's on my list of things to do.... :whistling:

I would think brookie fishing in that area would pale in comparison to what you guys have up in the algoma region. There are, however, some good opportunities. You probably won't get many replies with lake names, but if you do your homework using the stocking lists, and a good map of the area, you can figure things out yourself.

Fishing pressure is moderate to heavy on most lakes in that area, but there are fish to be caught.

I've had a cottage in that area for 25 yrs, and I'll honestly tell you that the biggest brookie I've ever caught was 21". Its not a trophy are for specks, but sometimes, if everything lines up just right, the chance is there for a good fish.

If you have an idea of a few lakes you'd like to try, send me a pm, and I could maybe offer some advice on whether its worth your time or not to travle into them. :)

Sinker

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i do enjoy some nice brookie fishing in the sault.

this winter i'm living in peterborough because my wife is finishing school at trent.

i don't know much about the area, and really miss brookie/laker fishing. i've heard the fishing can be quite good up there, and want to snap a few pictures of bancroft brookies. i'll release my beauties and post pics if anyone can help me out.

tight lines.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
well im glad your there and not romping around in my neck of the woods! ;) LSPP brookies are doing just fine here without you!

Oh yeah....i bet your missing the Nip right now eh!

I bet they are doing good without me! Without me up north, they are all feeling safe and sound.

Little do they know I'll be up there catching big brookies in a few weeks.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

no need to gps track my car, i park right on the side of the highway.

it's the 3+ kilometres i do on snowshoes that weeds out any followers! the worst part is, you can STILL get skunked.

nothing is more humbling (terrifying) than hiking for several hours through the middle of the bush with no broken trail, only to catch nothing but a whistling trout (common sucker).

no need to gps track my car, i park right on the side of the highway.

it's the 3+ kilometres i do on snowshoes that weeds out any followers! the worst part is, you can STILL get skunked.

nothing is more humbling (terrifying) than hiking for several hours through the middle of the bush with no broken trail, only to catch nothing but a whistling trout (common sucker).

Hey, its all about the adventure!!

I left home this morning at 4:30am in a whiteout. What normally takes me an hour to drive took me 3. I hiked 1.5km out to my spot, started drilling my first hole, and the bolt that holds the blade on my hand auger let go!! I managed to jimmy rig it well enough to drill 2 holes, and sat in the 40k winds and whiteout conditions for 5 hours. I got one fish. The drive home was closer to 4 hours.

It was a great day!!

Sinker

adventure ,, yes ,, great day? ,, i don't know 'bout that.

gettin' out is the cat's :asshat: no matter what happens ,, you are absolutely right,sinker.

tough day though, no doubt.

hey doc.,, sorry i can't offer any help but good luck in the search for brookies.

great pic's ,, and ya ,, i do smell something. lol.

no worries ,, most likely someone will post somethin' you can use ,.great bunch here.

Edited by waterwolf

Anders, have you seen if anyone has been down the OW road in the park? Im slowly getting a stupid/good idea.

Hahaha Uh OH! Are you thinking of going to where i think you are going?? Sorry..i havent noticed.

I may get a silly answer to this....why? LOL

Probably not the whole way in. Theres some day trips i was looking at but it would make things easier if there were tracks thats for sure.

Some time Im gonan make it in for a winter camp at the cabin.

Why??? the log at the cabin tells of big fish caught in the winter....id like to catch some too.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

That cabin was gorgeous. Fishing that lake for a week in winter would be awesome.

I've got a lake or two picked out for when i'm home. The wife's dad keeps bringing up a certain lake with about a 5.5-6 km one way hike. Not looking forward to breaking that trail. Do either of you guys want to lead for me? I'll carry the auger? Prettty please?