FIlet Knife Recommendation

sneak_e_pete

I have the rapala knife family completely covered. 2 wooden handle 6 inch fillet knives and the electric at home and the 6 inch black plastic handled one at the cottage.

I think the black and wooden handled ones both have the same steel in them so go with whatever you like the best. As far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with any of there knives.

For a blade with great flex it's the Rapala hands down. A good, durable knife. I've still got my first knife from 35 years back.

For bigger fish, however a blade with a bit more backbone is more suitable. For that I have a knife from Mora. Made next door in Sweden, they keep a very keen edge and hold it better when cutting through the bigger fish.

A FOUR INCH Rapala fillet knife. That's right 4" blade has more control than a six inch blade and I have filleted Salmon up to 30 lbs with it. But most fish are much smaller and don't require anything larger.

I just replaced a fillet knife and you can see why :)

Filletknifes004.jpg

A FOUR INCH Rapala fillet knife. That's right 4" blade has more control than a six inch blade and I have filleted Salmon up to 30 lbs with it. But most fish are much smaller and don't require anything larger.

Filletknifes004.jpg

Wow! That must have filleted thousands of fish. It's now an ice pick.

Filletknifes004.jpg

wow! how long have you had that top knife? I thought it was an oyster knife at first.

Filletknifes004.jpg

Wow, have you been sharpening that on a skate sharpener or something?? :) That looks like some sort of prison weapon. You must have cleaned a few fish in your day to wear a knife down like that.

Rapala for sure.

Keeping it sharp helps.

Best THing I found for sharpening ( cheap and easy ) is the red square ( 3" x 3") sharpener available from CTC ( find it in th efishing section)

Works on all knives to give them a quick touch up.

Cheap ( I lose things alot !) and easy to carry.

tb

You must have cleaned a few fish in your day to wear a knife down like that.

Over the years I would say several thousand. Mostly crappie and Lake Erie Perch but also a LOT of walleye. Now I release MANY more fish than keep except for those Lake Erie Perch. Can't see letting them go for the gill netters.

BTW.......... Perch are the toughest on a fillet knife. Their tough skin and scales dull a knife faster than any other fish I have ever filleted.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob