Safe distance

HUKDONFAWNIX

Well you got me thinking so I tried to find something on wave theory for ice cover and can't find anything.

a boat on the water has a hull speed depending on the length of the boat , a 24 ' boat rides over its wake at about 7kn and starts to plain but a car on ice has an infinite length and rides on the bending ice so it should never run up on its own wake unless its moving faster than the water can be displaced.

The problem occurs when the wave that you push around you comes in contact with structure or shore or another wave and has nowhere to go and heaves the ice up while you come along and push the ice down.

So on your way out and out in the open your reasonably safe but on your way back to shore is where you get in trouble. If you come to shore one a little ways behind the other the second vehicle could be at greater risk due to wave bouncing back from shore under the ice from the first vehicle combined with the wave from the second vehicle pushed toward shore.

I don't know if this helps or is just confusing?

If you can hear them fart... you're too close!

... if you can smell it... you're waaay too close!!!

If somebody farts on the ice and you are not close enough to hear them does it still make a sound? (maybe pollywogg could look that up).

Jim