Big Sandy Lake report

limeyangler

Hi all,

Went to Big Sandy Lake today for the first time this year. Last year was awesome, lots of big trout and whitefish. Today was very different....Nothing...lol...well I guess at a stretch you could say i avoided the skunk and landed my first smelt through the ice....A PB!!!!lol

I don’t know whether it was just one of those days.......or the fact that the fish don’t hang out there this time of year...I’ve only fished that spot in March/April. Could be one or the other or both factors.

Its a little worrying as Big Sandy Lake is the venue for the 2nd day of the NWO meet up this weekend, thought I’d do a sneaky pre-fish. On the other hand it has helped because i think now i will suggest the reef 1st instead of that spot.

There were tons of smelt down there , just like in March last year, its just that the trout and whitefish were nowhere to be seen.....and believe me i tried just about every lure/bait combination for both species...Tube Jigs, airplane jigs, large/small sucker minnows , large small dace minnows but i was on a hiding to nothing, as i did not even see a fish on sonar that wasn't a smelt.

WAS KINDA GREY TODAY

IMG_2626.jpg

LOTS OF SMELT DOWN THERE

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

AVOIDED THE SKUNK....LOL

IMG_2629.jpg

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/smelt.flv">

Hope Sunday is better...cant get worse....lol....oh yeah...it could...we might not even get a smelt!

Dave and Sandy are coming down this weekend so I hope to take Dave out to Lake of the woods for some Crappie Sunday.

Hey Rick I was up to Nestor last Sat...apparently the fishing had been good but between 3 of us we came home with 10 fish...complete waste of time...and no size either. Morans bay...BIG crappie in there.

And we will get the trout and whities Simon...if i gotta drill 50 holes myself we will find them.

Edited by brkygetr

Hey Rick I was up to Nestor last Sat...apparently the fishing had been good but between 3 of us we came home with 10 fish...complete waste of time...and no size either. Morans bay...BIG crappie in there.

And we will get the trout and whities Simon...if i gotta drill 50 holes myself we will find them.

this will be my first trip to Nestor in 3 years but easier to getto now that the road is in good shape

I usually go to NWB and fish 3 sisters....bigger fish

found a nice little lake East of fort last year caught seven crappie in about an hour but four were around 15"

gonna try it next weekend

Good luck this weekend

Edited by rickster

That's what you get for cheatin' Simon!

I wish you much better luck for this weekend!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian::thumbsup_anim:

Its not cheating in Europe...lol

anyway...thanks ...might just need that luck...but we have some good fishemen coming......i'm sure they can succeed where i failed....lol.