I Have A Boat Now!

MCTFisher9120

Hey mike I had a 12 foot tiny as well as my first. I painted mine with tremclad rust paint and had no problems. tape off the bottom non painted section from the top painted section. I have a spray gun so I bought a quart and sprayed it. spray paint will work just as good. thin even coats is key try not to cover everything in one shoot or your just going to end up with a uneven coat and tons of runs. basically mist it on coat by coat let it dry between coats. it take a while but the end result will look good.

Picture108.jpg

Very nice paing job indeed. I want to paint the boat a dark green and that bar rivet thing on the side black. Then stain and replace any wood inside the boat, and paint the inside a plain white.

Sweet! Congrats on a new boat! Looks just like my boat "Tony" except yours looks much newer, deeper and nice. lol

I go out on Simcoe in my boat all the time (just check direction of wind and fish in appropriate spots). Managed to catch some really nice fish out of "Tony" and managed to pick up 3 motors for free. 2 of the motors needed minor repairs and the third was a loner that we were allowed to use all summer (6 hp yamaha). I also got a free fish finder (1985 LCR 2000) from my dad. Banged all the rivets with hammers on both sides simultaneously. Still leaks but I whatever. I also got a free trailer and put some fenders on it and painted it. I also got 2 deep cycle batteries and a 55 pound thrust motor guide bow mount electric for free. I also bought a cannon downrigger for $5 at a garage sale and it had a cannon ball on it as well. I also got a pail full of cannon balls (7 of them) for free. Wow a lot of alsos in that message. My point is that it doesn't cost much if you look around and ask people. You are very young, don't be afraid to ask for stuff. I am very greatful to all the people who donated stuff to me. I really like my boat (despite its small size, narrow beam, the leaks and the fact that it is not that stable). Those little boats can go places bigger boats cannot. Mike the Bass is ready to hit some shallow slop.

Just have the safety stuff with you and replace the wood in transom. I also repalced lots of the screws. I mad a casting platform up front and a platform for the electric as well. Have fun with it. I even made my own oars out of fenceboard but was later donated real ones.

It can be done really cheap.

My boat and trailer could only wish to look as nice as yours.

Hey Cudz is that a Thornes I had one of those used it for a couple of years after I sold my 16 foot fiberglass that is when I realised I want a tiller boat.

12103IMG_0223_1_1.JPG

12103IMG_0924_1_1.JPG

1210314IMG_0286_1_1.JPG

Hey Mike congrats on your first boat I had to wait until I was 35 to get my first boat.

Enjoy my friend please be safe and now we expect to see some big ones :Gonefishing

Congratulations!! I hope you have many hours of fun with it!! I agree with Wayne...wouldn't paint it, you'll only stress about future scratches etc...besides, it gives it character like the carpet in Cliff and I's boat hehe

Congratulations!! I hope you have many hours of fun with it!! I agree with Wayne...wouldn't paint it, you'll only stress about future scratches etc...besides, it gives it character like the carpet in Cliff and I's boat hehe

You know Carole when I get to fish in your boat I will be barefoot :whistling:

Cartop it home. Get a set of decent roof racks, ropes and tie downs and you'll do OK.

My father used to cartop a 14' Thornes tinny with no trouble. I had a buddy when I was a kid who's father used to cartop a 12' on a VW Beetle all the way up north. 12' boats are usually called cartoppers so don't worry about it, unless of course you're driving one of those "stupid looking Smartcars!"

Congrats and I wish you many happy fishing trips in you're new boat. Oh yeah, forget the paint, sure it will look nice and pretty all spiffed up but at least using it the way it is a few little dock and rock bumps won't be a worry.