Dry Fly Steelhead ~ Incredible Video

solopaddler

OK...I give...I would have thought that rainbow could be caught this way so why is this such a special thing? what is the difference between the rainbows and other river fish?

Forrest

True steelhead are anadromous, spending their lives in the salt and ascending the rivers to spawn.

Our steelhead here in the great lakes are mistakenly called anadromous. To be really anal about it they are in fact potamodromous, meaning they live there lives in large freshwater lakes and migrate up our tributary streams to spawn.

Anadromous or potamodromous the common element is these fish we call steelhead live their lives in large bodies of water and migrate into streams and rivers to spawn.

A much different animal than a river fish born and bred. Trout that live there entire lives in a river key on whatever food source is readily available. In most cases insect life of some type...Obviously this makes them easy to catch on dry flies.

Migratory fish on the other hand have lived most of their lives roaming the wide open depths chasing baitfish. Yes, you can catch them on flies quite readily, BUT most of the best fly patterns represent eggs or minnows. Subsurface nymph patterns are also a deadly and subtle bait.

For whatever reason steelhead are just not predisposed to hit insects on the surface...

I believe the ones that do hit dry flies have had that feeding instinct imprinted on them as smolts in the river before they migrated out to the big water to become "steelhead" and frankly it's just not that common a thing...

When does a rainbow become a steelhead?

steelhead are rainbow that are not permanent residents of the river.......its kind of a grey area. For around here the steelhead would be those rainbow that hang out in Lake Ontario. They have more fight due to all the exercise they get in the lake.

From what I read people debate about steelhead vs rainbow

forrest

I had the privledge to dry fly fish for steelies in early winter with RICK WORWOOD (FFF MAster) and BILL SPICER (FFF MASTER) and we ALL got some good hits on WHITE MILLERS. They hatch when the temps are starting to drop but not freezing. Penn. rivers and with good colour water. I even say a guy get a chromer on a hopper-dropper , but i think it was taken when the hopper was being dragged under the water...

Dave

I have watched this 5 times today now.

Just unreal.

Brady, just for you bud some more:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I heard a lot about Smithers last winter in BC. A girl I talked to had spent the entire fall there chasing steel everyday. She said they had 5 fish in the 30 lb class........

Can I have her name and # ..... BOX and STEEL are a combo that weaken me at the knees :worthy:

As a flyfisherman and a steelheader this video blew me away. For a lot of flyfishermen catching steelhead on dry flies is like the quest for the grail. Many have tried but few have succeeded.

These guys prove that it can be done!

(Seems a trip to northern BC is in order B) )

Thanks for that bud. I think I've watched it about 20 times now. And I don't even fly fish!!!

lol!

p.-

Edited by Paulus