Alberta's Fishery

GoneFishin

Hi everyone,

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while now. I would like to move up to Alberta in the future for work but would also like to do a great deal of fishing up there also. I know they have an excellent trout fishery, but I've been drifting away from trout fishing lately and have really began to enjoy Bass fishing.

So I guess my question is, why are there no (very little) Bass in Alberta? Is it not a warm enough climate? Are there parts of Alberta that have good numbers of bass?

I would love to move up there, but I would hate to give up bass fishing.

I have Uncles and Cousins in Alberta and they are always eager to bass fish when they come to Ontario because they don't have any at home. They live in Edmonton and Calgary and fish for trout in the Bow river as well as walleye and pike in lakes and resevoirs nearby.

Sorry about that, but i'm sure there are Bass there, In B.C theres bass and in saskatchewan theres bass, It really doesent make sense for there not too be bass there, keep asking around, try yahoo answers u might get some answers there, granted u have a yahoo e-mail anyways srry for the mis information,9if thats a word), :blahblah1:

CUL8ER,

Marcus

As far as I know there is no Bass Fishery in Alberta. In Saskatchewan there is only one Lake, actually a reservoir with a Good large mouth Population. In BC there are several Small fishing lakes mostly on the Island that I know of. I really miss Bass Fishing, but in the back of my mind I actually got tired of it when I was in Ontario. As far as Alberta is concerned you have some fantastic fishing that's within the same distance as TO to Cottage country. The only difference is you will not see as many Built up Areas. Most lakes are one way in, one way out, and that's to the Boat Launch at the Provincial Park. What you don't get as far as Bass is concerned is that you can drive to Trophy Pike and Walleye Lakes within 2 Hours of Edmonton. In Calgary your 2 Minutes to the best trout waters for Brown and Rainbow the Bow River and its Tribs. Of course within an hour your into glacier fed trout streams and Grizzlies, cougar country. If you plan on Edmonton I can give you directions and a Camping(My own site by boat) site on my all time favorite fishing lake. Why not stock Bass. Its not native, look what happened to Algonquin Park.

Of note..Due to collapsed walleye fisheries (due to netting) there are alot of lakes with catch and Release only, however thanks to management they now hold trophy size walleye.

Check out the Forum and ask for info

http://www.fishalberta.com/

Holdfast Pinned it. If you are moving to Calgary there are plenty of rivers around to fish for trout. Lots of Rainbows and some Browns in the city. If your going up to Edmonton There are plenty of lakes around that hold walleye and pike. There are a bunch of sloughs that hold hammer handles but you will have better options if you sniff around a bit. No Bass however. The big dirty North Saskatchewan river holds some pretty decent size walleyes. If you get the trout itch again and your in the south end of Alberta, do yourself a favour and hit the Oldman River down from the dam outside of Pincher Creek ( if it is still legal to fish there ?) for cut throats, bull trout and mountain whitefish.

As far as I know, there are at least 3 lakes in the southern half of the province that were stocked a few years ago with smallmouth as a test. There was only one stocking done on these lakes, except for one lake which was stocked twice. Of the 3 lakes, I believe only one has maintained a small population and another has been a complete failure, while the third is unknown.

My brother moved to Edmonton a year and a half ago and has been doing some research on the subject over there, and I've been doing some from here. Seems like BC is the place to go if you want great opportunities for large and smallmouth bass, both Vancouver island and the mainland have several lakes with bass and quite a few have canadian record potential for both species.