Niagara ice report

bigugli

I always make a point of getting out on New Years Day. No takers to run out with me to check out some spots, Must have been somethin in the water :whistling: .

Most places in the Niagara area have open water or very skinny ice. L. Gibson is now posted as a trespass zone for ice fishing.

Rec canal is too skinny. Shore ice on the Welland R. is still too iffy. Finally found one old quarry pond with 3 1/2 to 5" of black and white ice that has large schools of gills.

Unfortunately the fish didn't seem to care too much for the Gulp maggots I was using. Got one OOS bass, and a few sunfish. the biggest being this fella.

DSCN2287.jpg

Not much of a result for 3 hours, but it beats being cooped up inside. Besides it was a beautiful afternoon to get out.

Excellent stuff Biggli, talk about determined to get out, i'm the same......if nobody wants to join me...i dont care....I'M STILL GOING!

Not bad for 3 hrs, i've done worse :whistling::rolleyes:

I really hope you guys get some ice soon down there, the weather for you guys has been terrible from what i'm reading, hearing and watching on the news.

PS....Happy New Year!

Simon

Man I'd be happy with that result. Been sitting on the same two schools of gills the last two days, plus a roaming pike and a school of jumbo perch.. NONE of which would touch any of my offerings. I don't know if I love the underwater camera so much anymore. It's great to see all the fish down there that won't bite. lol