AVG question

lew

I use AVG and it automatically updates every day as id did this morning, but then a message popped up in the tool try saying my "A.bin file is missing", so I opened the AVG page and it said the same thing under the Update Manager, and at the top of the main page it now says my computer is not protected.

I restarted the computer but it still says the same thing.

I use Windows XP and IE..........any thoughts, please ??

Same here.

The first thing to do in these cases is to...

visit Google.

I found the same answer as Rich got, it sounds like an AVG issue, and hopefully it will be resolved shortly.

Here's is the summary:

Confirmation that the problem is with AVG, as suspected by the fact that everyone was affected at the same time, and not the individual users: This is copied from the AVG Free Forum.

"Currently the update for AVG Free v8 is corrupted... you will have to wait for AVG Technologies to address the issue with the update.

Reporting the issue again by other users here will not do any good util it is resolved.

The updates that your AVG currently have will still provide the protection it is setup to detect. In otherwords, just getting this update will not make your AVG Free ineffective and as soon as AVG Tech resolves the issue you will be able to update to the current virus definitions at that time.

So in short... please do not post to report the issue, its already known. Also please be patient until AVG Technologies can address the issue."

The post continues to inform users that their virus protection is not negatively affected by the glitch - AVG is working to fix the problem and users need not worry.

Edited by Clamp-it

I have Vista.

I also cannot update AVG – started to happen about 7-9 days ago.

After the update attempt, I get

“Update failed. Invalid Update Control CTF File”

Under “Update Manager” in Overview, I get the same message.

And for Anti-Virus, Anti-spyware, it tells me – “Database is outdated”.

I found a solution at

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/error-in...-anti-virus-80/

It tells me to delete 2 “.CTF” files.

I did a search and I could not find any “.CTF” or “CTF” values.

carp-starter

I tried a couple times earlier today to update but I kept getting the same message about the missing file, but I just tried again and everything is good now.

As mentioned earlier, it musta been a glitch in AVG