another day on the bank

jwl

Well folks if my calculations are correct then I really redeemed myself today from a couple times of not getting a measurement and logo pic on a nice trout. I told the team I would come up with a few and..guess what..read em weep folks!!! I did :thumbsup_anim:

Headed down to the river with my friend John for a crack at it again. With all the cruddy weather lately, and forcasted freezing rain and winds for today I decided on leaving the boat home yet again and do another mission to the scene of the crime from Friday.

Turned out to be a great idea.

Got to the spot at first light after the big hike in, right away fish where surfacing, and the water was alot cleaner than last time and it was actually green. I grinned looked at my buddy and told him it was going to be a good day :Gonefishing:

First fish on for me was a spunky high flying bow, a nice fresh chromer..we got it to the bank, I had it on shore, popped my jig out of it's mouth and it flipped into the water before John could get a pic of it.

Oh well I was due for a bigger one anyways, and I got one!

a couple pics from the way in....

346532373.jpg

346532371.jpg

And finally this shot.

346532368.jpg

next up was some laker action...

346532367.jpg

then out pops this healthy girl

346532366.jpg

and the one that took over 1st for The Slammers!!!!

346532476.jpg

a while later I got one that was also a bit camera shy..had it by the tail, before I could get my bait out of it's yap...flops into the water and gone...that's ok by me, I got pics of the bigs ones..lol

finally after being my camera man for a while John gets into one.

346532478.jpg

And for the finally.....34 1/2 inches of Niagara at it's finest B)

346532477.jpg

well Coach had totals last time from Friday at 295 inches..that was with my 28 1/2 incher added...so if I just added 6 inches to that today...pending the 2 OFAH bonus inches...the way I see it that brings us to 303 inches, and stealing the lead away :worthy::worthy:

So if you will GCD..post this one up for us in the tourney section please !

Edited by jwl

Sounds like a great day...one question though, was that 34.5" Laker retained for consumption?

naaa, I just killed it because I thought it would be fun :w00t:

is this the part where 50 million people tell me that you shouldn't eat the fish???? :jerry::P

it went home with my bro-in-law for the smoker...I don't like trout....I think I kept all of about 5-6 lakers in the last 10 years and gave it to people who like it.

as for toughing it out for the team..well I owed them one becuase I got a steelie that was way bigger than that laker a couple outings ago and didn't have the logo with me :whistling: , so I had to get some redemtion in there :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

is this the part where 50 million people tell me that you shouldn't eat the fish???? :jerry::P

it went home with my bro-in-law for the smoker...I don't like trout....I think I kept all of about 5-6 lakers in the last 10 years and gave it to people who like it.

as for toughing it out for the team..well I owed them one becuase I got a steelie that was way bigger than that laker a couple outings ago and didn't have the logo with me :whistling: , so I had to get some redemtion in there :Gonefishing:

Well, the MOE does not recommend (via "the Guide to Eating Sportfish") consumption of a Laker of that size from the lower Niagara but I assume from your response that you already know this (though perhaps others reading your post would not).

Edited by wallacio

Well, the MOE does not recommend (via "the Guide to Eating Sportfish") consumption of a Laker of that size from the lower Niagara but I assume from your response that you already know this (though perhaps others reading your post would not).

good luck catching a small one there :lol:

if you clean the fat off...cut away the belly meat and part of the meat off the back it is ok..most toxins accumulate in those areas of the fish

Edited by jwl

Smoker + trout, YUMMY. I got to get a smoker. Nice fish BTW!!

Well Done !! :thumbsup_anim:

You seem to be catching more fish from shore lately Jack :whistling: lol

Looks to me like a great day down there,helluva task getting back up though....especially for an old fella as yourself ;)

Congrats on taking over the lead :clapping:

Streamerguy

:Gonefishing:

thanks man. just took advantage of getting in some shore fishing the last 2 outings..conditions and weather didn't seem that great so I couldn't be bothered dragging the boat down.

Besides I love the hike and adventure of it all, and I had to see if one of my fav spots was putting out fish :Gonefishing:

Wow, great fishin.

Alright boys, JDMLS, Sil, etc etc...lets get down there one of these days in Dec.

If you 3 Centerpin Kings ever come down this way you won't regret it....especially you "the fish whisperer" (kempdude) lol

The float fishing down here is amazing right now...I bet between you 3 you'll land over 20 fish EACH if not more!!

Give me a shout/PM if you need directions and I can send you down the shortest route down and up (rope or the wire)

Gl to you guys ...but im betting you won't need it!!

Streamerguy

If you 3 Centerpin Kings ever come down this way you won't regret it....especially you "the fish whisperer" (kempdude) lol

The float fishing down here is amazing right now...I bet between you 3 you'll land over 20 fish EACH if not more!!

Give me a shout/PM if you need directions and I can send you down the shortest route down and up (rope or the wire)

Gl to you guys ...but im betting you won't need it!!

Streamerguy

are you guys hearing this?

Im in!

split gas and ill pick you boys up on the way out!

nice fish.. was it tastey Jack? love the NRS rulers i made ..good for more than just steelie derbies eh>>

lets get out and add you a 20lb steelie this week Jack

I don't eat the trout so couldn't tell you how tastey it was....but after getting my hands slimed and then having a smoke..well the slime didn't taste so good...maybe it was just because it was cold :dunno::lol:

we will get out really soon and go find us the big ones, we are due for a big number day soon...good mix of fish out there...fresh chrome to ones that have been in the river since fall :Gonefishing: