Family summer getaway in northern(ish) ontario...

Hey guys,

Twice a summer my wife, daughter and I make the 6-7 hour drive up to my parents place in Hanmer, ON for long weekends - and it always seems so rushed. You spend friday in the car, you're there all day saturday, usually running around visiting and such, then you leave sunday afternoon and make the long drive back. It's never relaxing and we don't get to spend nearly enough "quality" time with my parents. This spring we're slated to have another little one, so making the drive will become even tougher with two kids in the truck.

SO, my wife and I have decided that we're going to start a family tradition, that is to spend 1 week at a cabin somewhere up north with my parent's and who ever else wants to come out and visit during the week. It has to be close enough to Sudbury that my extended family can come out for a day or two if they'd like. I grew up fishing the west arm - my grandmother had a trailer @ victoria park off of musky bay road. So right now I'm leaning towards that area, but if anybody has any suggestions I'm open for ideas. I need a place to keep my boat docked for the week, and the more private of a cabin we can get the better!

Obviously fishing is important to me as well, my primary targets being Walleye, Pike and Smallies. Panfish for the kids would be nice to.

Thanks a bunch for any leads.

Cheers,

Ryan

Halley's Camps! ;) lol i actually remember a great place from when i was a kid my parents always took me and a friend.....it is called King's Cottages and it is on Lake Kashwakamak...at least the last i remember being there it was a nice family environment along with really good fishing....if you'd like i'm sure i could find it somewhere on the internet for you......and Justin Hoffman also did an article in Ontario Out of Doors magazine on Lake Kashwakamak and he mentioned King's Cottages in it somewhere....anyways good luck in your decision

Hawk

well iam with you 100% and used to just get down right rude after packing and the trip up 69/400 to sudbury, we go(wife,2 boys 12 and 6 and myself,and da'dog) every long wk-end since may24th/1999 we go april.may,july long,aug,labour day,thanks givin,and x-mas ,all i can really say is save your self he agrivation and leave saturday morn at 3 or 4am i get into sudbury in 4.5 hrs and stop in parry sound at mc'don's when the kids wake up around 7ish then finish the jouney to sudbury. after we get to camp and get a little settled dad heads off for a little cat nap then iam good to go for the wk-end...when we leave its the same i pack night before in morn get the kids in the truck and head off early 4am or so....you miss all that friken traffic....and may i recommend you and your family try a new spot each time, iam sure the first one you guys go to will be just great but you'll never know how good the next lodge is you dont try it out. try this great fishing hole/lodge http://www.sportsmanslodge.net/Default.aspx

Camp Horizon in Field. Stopped going 5 years ago when we bought our own cottage or we would still be going. Not the ritz...but clean comfortable and very reasonable. Nice shallow sandy beach for the little ones with a floating dock out deeper for the swimmers.

Fishing is very good for eyes, pike both sm & lm bass and muskies too. Even 10-12 inch perch 100 yards off the swimming area along the 12 foot weed line. Nice small sheltered lake. Absolutely loved it there. Denny and Ruth are good people. Always have a pot of coffee on at the lodge and Ruth makes the best maple walnut donuts I have ever had, along with other goodies.

It is very popular and many people come every year so book ASAP if anything is still available. When we went we had to book for the next summer while we where there, so good luck with getting in, but the place is great.

My family went 7 years in a row. My brothers family has been going for 12 years I think.

Pm me if you have anymore questions.

Regards,

Steve

Solopaddler has the right idea with an Internet cottage search site.

I have found two places on that site (in particular) and both have worked out fantastically.

Plus it is just plain fun to see what's out there and to set goals.

Good luck and great idea on the family vacation/tradition.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Pikeslayer suggested Lake Lauzon. My wife and I are the owners of Lake Lauzon Resort right on Hwy 17 in Algoma Mills, we are located half way between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. We have 6 cabins and a Camp ground for both RV;s and tents. We are located on Lauzon Bay, we have an excellent launch and docking facilities. Lake Lauzon is well known for its fishing. Lake Trout, Smallies . Large mouth. Northern Pike, Muskies, We are less then a kilometer from The north Channel and other good fishing lakes.

Hot tub. Sauna and large gas BBQ's.

If you have a large group and are looking for 1 weeks accomadatiuons, I am sure we can offer you a great deal. Please check out our web site at:

www.lauzonresort.com

Allan and Karen

_SMD0077.jpg