Shocking a well... (NF)

Gerritt

I take it you want to make sure you have no E. coli or a vegetation/slime or odor/ taste problem

chlorine will no fix iron and manganese problems

well you should pump it outside till the chlorine is down to 10ppm and I wouldn't drink till under 3 ppm

and when you figure how much bleach you need make sure you do the math for the type of bleach you are using..household bleach is about 5% others are 12% or more

if you are using other then bleach ignore what I just said

When we first moved here we had a real problem with our well, sulpher and E Coli. I was told to put 1 cup of Javex into the well (Our well is a drilled well and they calculated the well held about 85 gal of water at any given point in time). We did not use the water for drinking directly from the tap, we would put it in an open container and let it sit for a day before drinking it so that the chlorine would evaporate off. Anyway, it worked for about two weeks at a time our water would be free of the sulpher smell and test E Coli free. We ended up putting in a system (ariation) to remove the sulpher and iron, a UV system to kill any bacteria, and for good measure a 5 stage RO system for our drinking water. I am told that if we take anything out of our drinking water, it won't be water anymore LOL.

Realize this doesn't ANSWER your question but hope it helps!

We have a shallow well and we had to do it a couple of times. We dumped at least 1 or 2 gallons of Javex in there, had to wait overnight and then run the water the next day untill we got rid of the Javex smell. We don't drink the water anymore, we use distilled water so only the animals drink it but we use it for everything else.