Lake Simcoe legislation passes

Spiel

Lake Simcoe legislation passes

Georgina

December 02, 2008 / yorkregion.com

Protection for Lake Simcoe took a major step forward with the passage of the Lake Simcoe Protection Act by the province.

Under the new law, the province will be required to develop a plan to protect and restore the lake as well as address the issue of phosphorus levels in the water.

The plan the government is developing would:

• Take an innovative, science-based, watershed approach to ensure that development and activities around the lake are environmentally sustainable;

• Help address emerging problems that affect the lake, such as climate change and invasive species and;

• Be supported by a $20-million investment, targeting protection measures, scientific research and on-farm stewardship activities.

The legislation builds on the work of the Lake Simcoe Science Advisory Committee and reflects public comment on a discussion paper released this spring.

“This is an historic day. Lake Simcoe has faced ongoing and growing ecological threats. Now, we are well on our way to developing a gold standard of sustainability that will restore and protect Lake Simcoe not only for our benefit and enjoyment but for future generations,” said Environment Minister John Gerretsen.

• More than 350,000 people live in the Lake Simcoe watershed.

• Lake Simcoe provides drinking water for eight communities.

• Agricultural production in the Lake Simcoe watershed generated close to $300 million in 2006 and recreational activities generate more than $200 million a year for the local economy.

I think that "Save Lake Simcoe" group has done anamazing job!!!

Congrats to all who were involved.

Is there any way we can get them to start on the next Lake now.

Lake Simcoe is part of the trent-severn system. There are about 20 other lakes connected to Simcoe, and they are all jsut as polluted if not more so than Simcoe.

Lets get 20 million for each of them too !!

Really I think it would be a great use of tax payers dollars. cleaning up our lakes and rivers is a lot more important to me than a lot of other dumb programs the gov't spends tax dollars on.

Can we start "SAVE SPARROW LAKE" for 09.?

Myself it has to start with the " home /cottage " owners on the shores,also the developers that are putting storm drains down to the lake. Just the past couple of years,I have seen many drains on the shores just at Bear point andwest of there. No collectors or sanitizing going on there.

What are your concerns with Sparrow reelpro? Just curious.

I do applaud thier efforts though.