Lowrance Crossover Road-Trail-Water GPS Navigation

Doctrt

I know this has been addressed in the past but I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some specific information on this particular unit, the Lowrance Crossover Road-Trail-Water GPS Navigation. What I'm looking for is a GPS for my car (with turn by turn nav, searchable waypoints, etc.) and a GPS for the boat (ideally compatible with hydrographic maps of most of the Ontario lakes). This looks like the one that fits the bill best and for a reasonable price. Any details - specs, where to buy, price to pay, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to give my wife some specific gift ideas for Christmas.

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?cPat...roducts_id=4563

Thanks in advance.

T

my advice to you:

ya gotta keep 'em separated

crossover = compromise and they are not much good at anything.

like ub mentioned, the garmins are great for the car. i have a nuvi 250 i believe it is. and for the boat/trail i use a handheld etrex legend (also garmin) with maps loaded on it.

Guest lundboy

I have one that I use when I'm not in my own boat. It's ok for the price. It takes the Navionics Hotmaps and Gold chips which cover just about all lakes.

It only lasts about 3 hrs on a charge though with full brightness (which isn't very bright at all in the sun). And it is only water "resistant" so if it rains, or you drop it in it's toast. I keep mine in an extra heavy duty clear plastic electronics protector bag that you can get at BP. Also I don't know of anyway to set a waypoint in it like you would an an LMS unit. But if you just want to see the water contours on the maps it's ok.

Other than that it's a pretty good car navigation GPS, with voice prompts and all. You do have to switch it over to Navionics mode, or Navteq mode, can't have both at the same time.

It's a comprimise, but might fit the bill if you rent a lot of boats or use someone elses alot.

It doesn't replace an on-board unit.

Edited by lundboy

onsale at Bass pro for $160...

for auto i'd stick with Garmin...

Not a bad price for a combo. Are they really that bad for the car? Would I have to buy separate lake maps, and if so how much would they be?

It only lasts about 3 hrs on a charge though with full brightness (which isn't very bright at all in the sun).

This shouldn't be a problem as I have two 12v outlets on the boat.

Thanks for all the input!

T

Guest lundboy
Not a bad price for a combo. Are they really that bad for the car? Would I have to buy separate lake maps, and if so how much would they be?

This shouldn't be a problem as I have two 12v outlets on the boat.

Thanks for all the input!

T

The lake map chips run from about $150+

The unit can be plugged in, but you would have to figure out a way to keep the unit dry. If you get one of the waterproof bags I mentioned above, you would defeat it's purpose by running the power cord into it. Other than that you could run it till it dies then plug it in for an hour to charge it up again.

The GPS navigation is not bad. I have compared 4 different units all at the same time (windshield was full) 1 garmin, 1 tomtom, 1 no-name and the XOG. 3 out of the 4 use the same nav system Navteq. The Garmin was way faster at locking in to the sats than any of the others. The XOG sometimes takes upto 10 mins!! Once it's locked in though, I found it to be slightly (very slightly) more accurate than the other three (for street turn warnings). Routing was about the same for all. All were more than annoying if you went off course. The Nuvi was interesting in that it has about 30 voice languages, so I had some fun getting directions in german, chinese, swedish etc. You can choose male or female on the Nuvi.

The XOG has one voice. The XOG was the only one out of the 4 that accepted Navionics chips (which I already had), so my choice was made.

You can get lake maps for the Garmin, but they are software downloadable and they aren't nearly as detailed (from what I saw on my friend's Nuvi).

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy
I like my XOG and for the sale price a BPS I might get another for the wife's van.

when you are out on the lake you can mark spots as I still have my spot's marked from ice fishing last year...

I couldn't figure out how to put in way points, how'd you do it?