Fishing in Cuba

Court R

I was there a couple weeks ago. We got hit by a hurricane, so I couldn't get out like I wanted. I did fish from shore a couple times, but I was really set up too heavy ( I wanted a cuda). We caught lots of red snappers, and a bunch of other small stuff.....it was fun, but not what I really wanted to do.

If your lucky, and the weather co operates, the cuda fishing is supposed to be good. I fished from bridges with bait, but locals were pretty excited to see my white X-raps, and big POP-R's.........I traded some of my heavy gear for lighter gear with the locals that were fishing there already. They said what I had was great for cudas, but it jsut wasn't the right conditions to get them.

The best time is just as the tide is going out......where I was anyways. Right at the turn, and then about an hour after, it was fast and furious with the snappers. I was using a #4 baitholder hook, with half a shrimp. I had it set up with an egg sinker, then an inline swivel, and a 16" leader to my hook. I was using 17lb line.

Ask the cook at your resort for some fresh shrimp......I found it to be the best bait. I had to offer up a peso to get them, but he hooked me up pretty good for a peso :) I gave him all my fish, and he was very happy to accept them, and supply me with as much bait as I wanted after that :)

I'd suggest 2 set ups, one heavy, and one med for the smaller stuff. Bring an assortment of hooks/line/sinkers, in small, and large sizes, and some larger cranks and topwaters for the cudas.

The biggest help for me was the workers at the resort. Ask all of them if they fish. You can tell the ones that actually fish from the ones who "like" to fish. Keep them happy, and they will set you up with good info. I left my go to fishing guy with a nice collection of tackle when I left, and he hooked me up with primo deals on coffee/cigars/rum......fair trade if you ask me :)

If the weather wasn't so rough when I was there, I have no doubt I would have done well on cuda's and redfish. 15ft waves make it tough to fish........I still tried anyways!!

Still a great time, and I'd do it again in a second!!

We were in Santa Clara BTW, fished off the causeway out to the island. 55km long, with a bridge every km. Some were productive, some not so much. We just took peddle bikes and went touring with the rods and a back pack.

Have fun, and good luck!!

Sinker

http://www.cubamania.com/cuba/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Try searching that. I did a few reports there, here too. Cuda are ambush fish. Find current on the tide, around points islands, channels. The outgoing tide is better. They like to chase so you need to burn your lures...not so much wobble. Did good with sweedish pimples, if you can believe that. Poppers have there place. Bright colours sun colours plus white and silver do well. A great pair of sunglasses helps also. Holguin, might get a fair bit of pressure from locals who love Cuda and Snapper. They love any sort of protein. Bring extra good quality circle hooks, egg sinkers, leaders, etc. You may run into a local fishing and they can be very helpful.

Edited by scuro2