Boat Renovations

bicephalic

Hi Everyone,

For various time using reasons (some better than others), my dad (who introduced me to fishing) hasn't been out on the water in years. I figure the best way to rectify this problem is to get his boat back in shape. He has an older 3 seater 12 (or 14?) foot aluminum that has provided many years of enjoyment, but it's finally in need of some help.

I plan on replacing the rotted wooden seat boards (the main problem) with Star Board (ie http://www.kingstarboard.com/ ). Seems like it's a bit pricey, but comes in the desired thickness, and is machinable using standard woodworking tools. My question is, does anyone know if this product is strong enough to use on the transom as well? The existing wood there is in decent shape, but if I'm undoing rivets and replacing the seats, it wouldn't be all that big of a deal to do that too.

While I've got the seats out I was going to use Rhino spray on bed liner for the inside/bottom. We have a small sprayer/air compressor combo, but I haven't had much experience with it. Any pointers? Has anyone gotten it priced out before to spray their boat? Also, If I was to pull the seats, and found a place willing to spray it without extensive costs, do you think there would be enough structural integrity to tow it on the trailer without the seats, or am I going to put too much stress on the hull/rivets? The trailer it sits on had the roller guides ripped off about 8 years ago and replaced with a home made 'ez loader' type apparatus (6x6 coverted in carpet and bolted at the proper height/angles), so it is quite stable.

We painted the outside (above the water line) several years back, and that has held up pretty good, but will need to be redone. I've done some research on this, and have a few paint systems in mind, but was looking for input on any products people here may have used. Would prefer a 'system' type painting complete with primer, instructions, and topcoat etc.

I've still got a lot of reading to do, but usually find the experience of others more useful than semi-propoghanda advertising by the manufacturer

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

B

is it lighter then your typical marine plywood?

I've only held small peices when a client was showing me a peice, but it certainly wasn't any heavier than I would have expected the plywood to be!

King Starboard is very ridgid and easy to use I would NOT use it on a transom thou stick to your regular plywood for that have your priced a sheet of Starboard yet,I have a feeling you will be using standard boat building materials on the ole girl

I haven't gotten an actual quote as yet, but a lot of our clients are in the boat business, so I'm working on a few favours...anyone got a 4'x4' sheet of 3/8" starboard they want to donate? :D

Why the Rhino liner??? If it's leaking reset the rivets.

Actually i liked the durability/traction factors as much as I liked the leak-stop properties.

Doesn't leak terribly anyways...or didnt the last time it was on the water.

This is as much a fun project as it is practical guys, it's just something to do with my dad and brother. Now if i could just get the boat in the basement where it's warm :D