Muskie Lure Making

TJQ

Averys gearing up to make some new prototypes of his Jumlla Lures for muskie. We're gonna order this years components for all his tackle I gots a question on the muskie one...

Last year I showed the big lures to some people and was informed that the wire we were using wasn't nowhere near strong enough. The wire we were using was 0.030" Now we can step it up to 0.040, 0.051 or even 0.062"

Can anyone offer any advice??? I don't wan't to over kill with wire thickness.. or maybe you can't... i dunno??

0.051 will be fine. Some guys prefer the thinner diameter like 0.040, more vibrations??

also, I am not sure if 0.051+ wire will fit in a bender if you are currently using one. Pliers do the trick.

Edited by Raf

I have been using 0.051 and 0.062 - i dodnt have anything but barehands and plyers to work with - so my lures are made with blood sweat and tears (literally)

I just got some smaller wire this Christmas, but havent tested them yet of course. For musky I say stick with 51-62 - but if you look at Mepps #5 spinners they do not use very thick wire...so its probably not necessary to have really heavy wires unless your beads have big holes.

Hey Boss.....

Your order is a good one.

Pay attention to the size of body beads you order tho...

If from Luremaking.com.....some beads do not fit the .051

Like Mepps, I hand bend mine too...and it hurts with just an assortment of pliers.

Out2llunge told me you can have one made up at a metal specialty shop or anywhere they have a jig.

I have not found one available anywhere, tried all the goto places in the States with no success...if you locate one please let me know for sure.