A few things every Ice Angler should know....

ccmtcanada

With the first few ice reports showing up and a few other ice related threads, it may be time for a refresher on a few things.

For at least the past few years there have been posts that I thought were important that anyone venturing out on the ice should know. The first has to do with ice thickness...and the kind of ice there is....

IceThicknessChart.jpg

The second is what to do if you fall through the ice. Here's a great video that has been posted in the past that everyone should watch before venturing out there. It could save your life.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Be safe everyone!!!!

Good post! I saw a great presentation a few years ago about ice safety. One of the things that struck me was the stat about people falling through the ice and how they die. Nearly 100% drown, virtually none freeze to death. The presenter said that it takes a few minutes to drown, but you would survive partially submerged for 7-8 hours. People drown because they keep trying to get out of the water, exhaust themselves and slip under. The presenter said that almost everyone that dies would survive if they crawled over to the edge of the ice, got their arms up on the edge, and let them freeze in place. That way, you can just hang and wait for rescuers. Sounds good in a warm room....I don't know if I would have the presence of mind to do it in icy water.

Yesterday, I woke up, looked out the window and saw that the river had a blanket of ice right out into the main channel with a light coating of snow on top...I was depressed to say the least, but it made me start to get into the ice fishing mode!!....Looks are deceiving folks...here is what the river looks like this morning!!!

20081125_0001.jpg

During the early ice fishing season, I always carry my ice chisel with me, while wearing my survival suit and check the ice in front of me every couple of steps...If the chisel breaks the ice with only one or 2 hits, I back up and get the heck off the lake or river!!

I'll also do this on unknown lakes even during the middle of the winter....

Be safe!!!!

On a brighter note.....now that the ice disappeared, I think I'm going to get another kick at the can and head out for a late fall Muskie hunt this week :thumbsup_anim::clapping::Gonefishing::canadian: