Specs throug the ice

trapshooter

The dark fish is most definately a male and the pale fish is a female for sure. The males do change colour more than the females. They also change colour before the spawn and stay coloured for a longer time after the spawn.

Then there is the fact that different bottom colours also will make fish change in colour in order to blend in to the environnement.

The other day, I caught a male brookie in the Saguenay river. It was quite pale when I caught it. I put it in a bag and when I took it out to fillet it, it had turned dark. I guess it did not die very quickly in the bag it had time to change colour.

Actually, the females taste a tad better than the mature males at this time of the year. Since the males change (go into reproduction mode) before and after the females. Many of the males I have been catching have flesh that is a bit softer and not as red as that of the females. I noticed this for the past few weeks from the trout I have been catching in the Saguenay.

Very nice.

I love the dark colorations..

Funny how different looking Specs can be, even when pulling them from the very same spot.

In the spring I got into a mess of them and had them ranging from dark browns and yellows with vibrant reds, and oranges, bright silver with almost glowing blue and pink spots....and then some inbetween LOL

Very cool non the less.

Thanks for sharing!