Economy sinks Simcoe ice fishing derby

Spiel

Economy sinks Simcoe ice fishing derby

November 12, 2008

John Slykhuis / yorkregion.com

The sinking economy has claimed its first local victim.

The Lake Simcoe Ice Fishing Contest, the biggest one-day winter angling tournament in Canada, has been cancelled.

In its heyday, the event attracted close to 5,000 anglers from across the province and the United States, generating hundreds of thousands of dollars in profits for local businesses, especially gas stations, bait and tackle retailers, bars and restaurants.

Local service clubs that assisted will also be hit.

Long-time Original Ice Fishing Contest organizer Larry Boziak of Manitoba told Focus on Fishing columnist Wil Wegman last week this popular winter tournament will be on hiatus in 2009.

“The economic times are just too tough at this point for us to come to Keswick and in order to deliver the high quality event that Lake Simcoe anglers are accustomed to from our organization, we felt it best to sit this winter out in Ontario,” he said.

Mr. Boziak still plans on running events out west and hopes to the contest will return in 2010.

Georgina Chamber of Commerce president Dan Fellini called the cancellation “very regretable. This certainly won’t do anything to help the people in that industry.”

Mr. Fellini has spoken with Mayor Rob Grossi about contacting sponsors to try and hold another one-day event this winter, he added.

When told of the cancellation, perennial Ice Fishing Contest competitor and former champion Gerry Draper of Jackson’s Point said, “That’s really going to hurt. Guys were already talking about it. Guys here at the Bass Pro, I was talking to them and they gave me their e-mail so I could tell them when it’s going to be.”

Anglers from as far as Thunder Bay and Montreal were planning on coming, he added.

But it’s still full steam ahead for the 15th annual Canadian Ice Fishing Championship Feb. 23 and 24, organizer Rocky Madsen said.

He is also reviving the Great Georgina Ice Fishing Derby with the town Jan. 30 to Feb. 15 and his perch tournament Mar. 8, so there is some good news for local businesses who rely on the multi-million dollar ice fishing industry.

The three tournaments will offer about $100,000 in cash and prizes.

Mr. Madsen will have to make some adjustments to the CIFC, with major sponsor Sorel cancelling, again for economic reasons, he said.

“I lost Sorel. (They) pulled out. That’s $10,000 and $5,000 in clothing,” Mr. Madsen said. “But I’m working on a few other sponsors. I’ll still make this go, we just have to watch our expenses.”

Mr. Madsen can understand Mr. Boziak’s problem because he has to relocate his huge organizing team from Manitoba to Keswick, while he is based in Sutton.

Uncertain ice conditions because of mild winters have also affected the Manitoba crew’s ticket sales, Mr. Madsen said.

“That’s why I have it here. We draw from the city.”

Mr. Madsen has seen long-range weather prognostications calling on a “carbon copy” of last year’s winter, with a cold start, mid-January thaws, then bitter cold.

“It looks (as if) it’s going to be another late winter.”

For more see his website http://www.georginafishingseries.ca/

Complete details can be found at http://www.originalicefishingcontest.com/

Well thats too bad,i i fished the first 5 years of that tourney,it was fun,and hey a few times if you even caught a 10-12inch perch you were going to win a truck,or a quad,and one year a guy won a new truck with a 4lb pike !!!! well its a sign of the times for sure,it will hurt lots of small business as well...