LeBaron No Tax

young_one

Boots are simple next Saturday November 29th Marks will be having a 20% off sale grab a coupon off of their flyer for another 10 dollars off 50 and get yourself a pair of wind river or dakota -100C boots. Waterproof at the bottom and very water resistant. They have a small air grate between the sole and liner and your feet will never be cold and they are a lot cheaper than Baffins which I never could find for sale where I could try them on.

Gloves are a pain though I have spent hundreds of dollars on gloves... No glove yet exists that is both WATERPROOF, warm and sufficiently thin enough to leave on. I therefore tend to take more than one pair with me. I have an excellent thin glove that came as part of a winter armor system that are not waterproof but fairly warm and they can be worn all the time. The drawback is if you even touch your line they get very wet and soon the warmth is gone. I find that certain wool gloves will still keep your hands warm even when frozen solid as they are not waterproof. It is hit or miss to find them although if you know anyone who ever fished on the east coast they will be able to tell you the type of wool.

I bought a pair of 185.00 gortex gloves 20 yrs or so ago. They are waterproof but way way too bulky to wear while actually fishing. Like you can't even reel in with them even though they are gloves not mitts I gave them to my father for Christmas one year to encourage him to keep fishing in the cold. The other problem is he won't wear them, when I asked him why not he said his hands melt in them? I go what the heck are you talking about he goes here you try and them. He was right it was -30 or more with the wind chill and I just couldn't leave them on, my hands after 10 minutes felt like they were on fire. So they get a fail because you can't work the reel with them on and you just can't keep them on all the time LOL.

So I take at least 3 pairs of gloves and try very hard to keep one pair dry.... I have heard great things about ice armor gloves for ice fishing but I don't know if you can leave them on while using a float setup.

Edited by Canuck2fan

• 4 weeks later...

My personal opinion, get the micro fleece, wool will most likely keep you warmer, however, it will also most likely make you itchy. Its up to you though, whatever makes you more comfortable. Mind you, if you did get the micro fleece, you could always put those instant hand warmers and just stuff a few in your boots to keep your feet warmer. Also remember this... When it comes to overall body temperature, your feet are what makes your body temperature drop faster when they become cold, so its always important to have the right boots, especially in the winter.