Islander Steelheader

kemper

I got one this summer from solopaddler as my first centerpin.

It has been fantastic so far.

I defiantly wont need to upgrade any time soon.

I would highly recommend it.

Glad to hear it's working out for ya!

As far as the Islander goes it's a good serviceable reel, the Honda Civic of centrepins.

I have no frame of reference as it is the only Pin I have used,..but it works great IMO. Everyone says it has slow start-up,.but using you trotting finger can help that. Looks great against the fresh chromers tooo...lolololol

I know Ive posted this pic before, but I love how the fish is more shiney than the reel..!!!

Closeup-1.jpg

Dude, why didn't you tell me, you wanted one !! I would of let you fish mine a few weeks ago . You can fish it next time we get out...The reel is invincible, and as Solo stated " the honda civic of pins" , for more reasons than 1. I have had to do 0 maintenance on this reel, and I have fished it since march without a problem. Slow start up my AZZ -_- , this reel starts up with the best of them... Any debris comes right out with a quick rinse. You don't even have to take it apart as the porting does a great job at filtering out any dirt.. The only thing I am not to crazy about is the spool size...It's a bit small for big rivers , and takes a lot more to retrieve line than a 4 7/8" reel, but for the Eastern tribs you fish, its perfect. If you want a used one, I will probably sell mine once the new Caddy comes in from the UK...Let me know if your interested...Although I will warn you. The crack heads on the SHWA may try to jump you when they see the GOOOLD, LOL !!!

Dude, why didn't you tell me, you wanted one !! I would of let you fish mine a few weeks ago . You can fish it next time we get out...The reel is invincible, and as Solo stated " the honda civic of pins" , for more reasons than 1. I have had to do 0 maintenance on this reel, and I have fished it since march without a problem. Slow start up my AZZ -_- , this reel starts up with the best of them... Any debris comes right out with a quick rinse. You don't even have to take it apart as the porting does a great job at filtering out any dirt.. The only thing I am not to crazy about is the spool size...It's a bit small for big rivers , and takes a lot more to retrieve line than a 4 7/8" reel, but for the Eastern tribs you fish, its perfect. If you want a used one, I will probably sell mine once the new Caddy comes in from the UK...Let me know if your interested...Although I will warn you. The crack heads on the SHWA may try to jump you when they see the GOOOLD, LOL !!!

You know I didnt even notice you were fishing one until I saw your pictures from a later trip. The thought never even crossed my mind haha.

Ill definatly grab a drift or two next time out, see how I like it.

Also fished the Raven Vectra SST 3...and fell in love with it. Wicked reel.

I have had one for about 5 years now and its worked great for me. But I dont think I would buy one again, for I dont see the point in paying so much for such a simple style of reel.

Islander is not a high end reel, it's more middle of the pack as far as price goes.

Simple yes, but the machining is uber precise with most centrepins, waaay moreso than pretty much any other type of reel, and the process is painstaking and expensive.

Islander is not a high end reel, it's more middle of the pack as far as price goes.

Simple yes, but the machining is uber precise with most centrepins, waaay moreso than pretty much any other type of reel, and the process is painstaking and expensive.

Your absolutly right. I just havent seen much difference in functionality between the cheaper and more expensive ones. It seems, as the price goes up they just look more fancy.

Your absolutly right. I just havent seen much difference in functionality between the cheaper and more expensive ones. It seems, as the price goes up they just look more fancy.

:) You could apply that statement to a whole lot of things.