So you think you're an artist?

Greencoachdog

So you think you're an artist?

I swear! The crapola they pass off for "modern" art these days really makes me wonder

Take this guy for example, he got paid good money to do that! :rolleyes:

Not quite as bad as the guy that canned his own feces and then sold the cans to museums, after which several of the cans of poopie have exploded... thereby raising the price and value of the ones that haven't, the last I heard... they cans were going for about $12,000.00 a can!

Or how about the "artist" that bit himself every place he could reach (too bad he couldn't reach his nadz eh!) and took pics of it and sold them

It's a weird world we live in I'll tell ya!!!

Anyone else have any "modern art" stories?

It is quite sad that some aspects of modern art are more about explaining your work on such a pretentious level as to alienate most people but still appeal to a select few who have influence and/or money to popularize and buy the junk. I'll spend good money for a painting I like, but I won't spend one cent on a painting that I could do with two cans of paint and a roller, or looks like a 4 year old did it with mom's lipstick.

Yes, there's this precious gem our very own National Capital, Ottawa aquired for several million called" Voice of Fire".

It had generated many responses from irate readers for quite a while:

Voice_of_Fire.jpg

OTTAWA 1990 —- Ten years later the embers of Canada's biggest art scandal are still burning. Within 72 hours of the National Gallery of Canada reporting that it had purchased Voice of Fire, a huge abstract painting by American artist Barnett Newman for $1.76 million, the media, the public and the government went ballistic.

The two-month furore that raged in the media and the House of Commons in March 1990 was Canada's biggest art controversy.

A 1996 book Voices of Fire: Art, Rage, Power and the State, edited by Bruce Barber, Serge Guilbaut and John O'Brian, chronicled the fiasco and tried to make sense of it.

It all began March 7, 1990.

"We rarely have a chance in today's over-heated art market to purchase works of the scale and historical significance of Voice of Fire," the gallery's director, Shirley Thomson, said.

Voice of Fire, a 5.4-metre-high by 2.4-metre-wide canvas with three stripes, was originally commissioned by the American government for an exhibition of U.S. contemporary art at Expo '67 in Montreal.

The public had a different view when Global News took to the streets with a camera and mic.

It was compared to "a ribbon of a military medal," a "flag in some country somewhere," something "my son'll do in daycare." Some said they wouldn't pay $1 for it. Some thought it belonged in the garbage.

Other smarty-pants thought they could do better.

The first of many Voice of Fire parodies, Echo of Fire, by a Victoria, B.C. duo, was advertised as a steal in the Victoria Times-Colonist at $3.2 million.

Political cartoonists satirized it, although many didn't pay enough attention to get the sequence and colouring of the stripes right.