How to use floating eggs for centerpining

okumasheffield

Lol danbo. Okuma on average 12-20 inch's of leader is used depending on conditions usually I fish about 16 inch's of leader. A long lead with no shot on it will float out of the strike zone. Shorten your leader to 16 inch you wont have this problem anymore.

Edited by silvio

Or if you still want to run a 3 ft lead you can put shot right on your lead. I fish a 5 lb Maxima lead and there is usually at least one shot on it somewhere and I didnt lose any fish due to breakoffs last season. Everyone is scared to put shot on the lead, but its no big deal as long as it is not close to your bait

But the swivel might get caught at the bottom and might end up breaking my main line with my float ...

by the way, i usually use 3 feet of leader, which means my bait will be 3 feet above the bottom ... is it ok?

3 to 4 feet off the bottom might be the only place fish are hitting at any given time that is why a small shot on the leader is a good idea so you can quickly adjust the depth. I had a very wise 81 year old fisherman, who by the way was out fishing everyone all ten times I fished with him, tell me just this spring the most important thing I have ever learned about steelheading..... "Son, the fish we are going after don't look down....."