Nippissing Ice

fishnpro

I was thinking about heading to nippissing this weekend with a buddy and was wondering if anybody would happen to know the ice thickness on callender bay or the west arm??? Also where are some good area so go?? I have never fished nippissing in the winter only summer. Also can I buy minnows down south and bring them up with me?? Any info you can give me id appreciate.

-Fishnpro

There are approximately 8 inches of ice on Callander Bay. But not everywhere. The Wasi river runs into the bay and is a place to avoid. There are other areas on the bay that are known for having thin ice so caution MUST be taken. I dont fish Callander Bay so not too sure about where to fish..But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave your minnows at home. Dont spread the virus!!! There are bait dealers up here..!!!

Edited by Nipissing

I haven't been on it since everything froze over, but I would avoid the West Arm for a little while if you're not sure where to go or don't have the advice of someone who does.

The "river" is a different animal than the rest of the lake. I was on it last year in late Dec. / early Jan. and the ice in spots had me a little worried, even though it was plenty thick enough where we fished. We came across two open holes where there was no current.

I heard a report today that people are crossing Nipissing from Sturgeon to "Target" and that there is 8 inches of ice.... it will be a couple of weeks before I venture anywhere out there... I think they are nuts... its -2 here today...