So I want to buy a used bass boat

ecmilley

I have been looking at a couple used Bass boats and other than the engine and electrical that I have no problems checking out,. Are there any common problems with certain manufacters that I should be aware of, really like some of the ranger,s I've been looking at but also skeeter and triton and pro-craft all have some nice boats.

Maybe we can all make a faq for buying used boats?

I would look for a couple things if it's a bass boat that has been fished in tournies and stuff...some of these guys pound the crap out of thier boats, resulting in stress crack/spidering on the hull, and also when pounding the big waves, when the motor is coming out of the water a bunch of times, really pound on the transom and also can create cavitation with the motor causing alot of engine problems.

The things to look for difer greatly depending on how much your planing on spending. If your lookin for a budget basser Under 7500 then the things to look for are different than things to look for if our in the 15k range.

For 10,000 or more I would seriously consider driving to the States and buy a boat/trailer and get a motor up here. Down in the US they run Bass boats all year long even during spawning in many states. So a 3 year old motor in the states can be like buying a 12 year old motor here.

Also figure out how fast your happy with going BEFORE you buy a bass boat NOT after. If you have your heart set on making your '89 Ranger do 70mph well your gonna spend allot of money chasing a pipe dream. If your satisfied with 50 then that opens up a whole lot of really nice boats, what water are you gonna fish? Any need for a fish n ski? or is two seats good enough? Do you care enough for your partner to have a dual console(eg are you planning to have your wife go for a ride in it more than once...(been there done that...Sold the boat)

It sucks to be the passneger eating bugs and dodge seagulls while the driver is tucked nicely behind a little wind screen.

Check the corners of the Gunwales near the transom for spider cracks, this is where the preasure is exerted from the motors weight and tourque.

Try and get one that has a couple of props, comes with a Jack plate, a good trolling motor, fish finder, spare tire for the trailer, bearing buddies etc....

As for brand specific, I know the smaller Stratos boats bog in the back during acceleration but ride really nice once on plane.

Champions are also nice and solid boat, but your gonna need a 225 on it if you want to crack 60mph without allot of tweaking.

Most bass boats will run in the 55-65 mph range, if you have a guy advertising it does more than 65, he is very likely Lieying unless he is running something bigger than a 25 pitch prop. To be able to run more than 65 you need to be able to turn at 26 or higher.

Again it really depends on your budget and expectations... what exactly is your price range and what sort of performance are you hoping for?

Feel free to jump in here guys but this is just my experience...

Biggest area of concern for me would be even compression on all engine cylinders. Ensure a compression check is manadated before buying and ask for the results. Even pay for it yourself - best $100 (or so) you would ever spend for piece of mind. Any other engine issues would hopefully become apparent during the water test.

Another area of concern - take it for a good, long water test. Test out at various RPMs for various lengths of time. If you are going to use it for trolling - test at trolling speed for as long as you would usually troll for. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, why would you buy a boat without taking it for a spin?

Inspect the transom to ensure there is no "pulling" at the motor. Any gaps in the wash well. Just look to ensure it is solid. If it's an older boat with exposed wood in the transom, probe it with a screw driver - any penetration, run away, don't walk.

Last thing - don't overlook the small stuff. Do all guages work? Put the bow and anchor lights in - do they work? Do all pumps work? On board chargers work? Trolling motor, fish finders etc. Check it all. Last thing - do the trailer lights work.

Not an easy thing buying a boat, but if you are thorough, everything will work out fine.

Google "buying a boat checklist" - you will get lots of hits.

Edited by Dutch

I have been looking at boats in the 8-14k range I figure if I don't really like fishing off them I wouldn't be taking a huge hit in the wallet reselling it, as for performance I live on Sturgeon lake don't really need to go faster than 50 never thought about top speed, just being able to fish on something wide and stable

Edited by ecmilley

8 - 14k I would go to the states for sure, you can get twice the boat for the money. You could probably even find and allison or a stroker for 15k. Then you could run 70mph+ and drink your coffee at the same time.

Procrafts are wide stable. Actually Imy cousin is thinking about selling his 21 foot Procraft with a 200hp Merc, jack plate, trolling motor fish finder, trailer etc... all the fixins, its a great fishing rig, and super stable. We call it the Bass barge its so big.

You should have no trouble finding a good rig for that price range.

Just make sure the hull is sound, and all the gizmos work.

That triton is a nice boat too.

Edited by jedimaster