mooring cover question

Radnine

Hi All,

I have a situation with my mooring cover on which I could use some advice.

The inside of the cover looks like the cat had kittens on it. It is all black and splotchy (like mildew) inside, while the outside is as clean as a whistle. Does this happen to everyone?

Do I use the cover too much (without taking it off)? Or do they need regular scrubbing and I have been negligent in my duties?

Any help (including the best way to clean it) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

your cover must not be vented, that's why the mildew inside...mine on the other hand has the opposite problem, outside is getting covered with sap and pine pollen from being out at my trailer,I would also be curious as to see what people recomend to get it clean..and any other remedies for sap they may have..my leather seats have a couple marks on them from having sap on my panyts and not knowing it at the time.

if your cover has no vent on it, you can probably get a place that makes covers to do it up for you pretty cheap

Sounds like you had the cover on while the boat was still wet/damp on hot sunny days, doing so, you'll get "The Green House Effect"

the moisture has nowhere to go and just collects on the inside of the cover, after some time it creates mildew/mold.

just wash it with a mild soap, rinse well with fresh water and let it dry in the sun.

Not saying that is your problem but, make sure your boat is dry and has no water in the bilge(leaks) or have a wet/damp carpet or deck before you put the cover on.

covering a boat is good practice but covering a wet boat on a hot day without adequate ventilation will eventually ruin the plywood/carpet, not to mention corrosion problems, specially to the electrical components.

covering a boat is good practice but covering a wet boat on a hot day without adequate ventilation will eventually ruin the plywood/carpet, not to mention corrosion problems, specially to the electrical components.

BINGO, you hit the nail right on the head.

I have a friend that has the same boat/motor/trailer as mine, both are over 20 years old. His is covered and left outside were mine has never spent any time outside (stored in the garage) unless it was fishing. He has had to replace his complete plywood floor and has had MANY electrical problems with this year a on-board fire. I in turn have had 23 years of trouble free fishing from my vessel. I understand not everyone can store a boat inside but IF you can it really makes a world of difference.

Bob