same musky same result

Rizzo

Sounds like your hooks aren't sharp enough Rizzo

you'd think that may be the case, but 2 out of the three chances it latched onto a big soft plastic bait. Those hooks probably never even touched his mouth. I believe the fish clamped down, and even my hookset wasn't going to pull a big hunk of rubber out of his teeth. With the bulldawg, I actually set the hook about 3 times, because I had previously lost the fish on a giant white grub. When he was still there after about 10 seconds, I thought I had him...all of a sudden, here comes the bulldawg back all alone...teethmarks, but all alone.

Rizzo Ive had this happen to me but never 3 times always got it on the 2nd time around. Get the file out and Make sure those hooks are sticky sharp. when setting the hook try and break your rod. a Musky's mouth is tough. But most important keep those hooks SHARP SHARP SHARP.

I wasn't implying Kemper uses the 50lb on a musky rod, but on his bass rod. Even still, and I'm sure some will disagree, 65lb is fine for Kawartha fish and the Haliburton 'skis that I fish for. The rod I use with oversized jigs is rigged with 65lb test. Its more limp and works better than my other rod thats rigged with 80lb. Set the drag properly and you can fight any fish. My pb fish is only 46in, but I horsed it in with that same 65lb thinking I was using my other rod. I'd think twice about using it on GBay, Ottawa river or any other trophy waters. But judging by the amount of fish landed on bass gear every year on the Kawarthas and Haliburton, I'd say heavy bass gear is suitable for most casting applications on non-trophy lakes.

65 lb test is fine as is 50 the reasoning behind using 80 to 100 lb line isn't for the fish but the lures. When casting them if you get a backlash or as we call them a professional over run. the 65 lb will still break and at 25 bucks a pop on average thats an expensive breakage when you could save it by using atleast 80 lb.

As for using 65 lb on Gbay feel free if you don't get backlashes you won't have any issues.

FWIW..I had a similar experience..here's what I did: Put 2 twelve inch Wire Leaders rigged in tandem.

Put a large Treble hook at the last snap. Put a 1/2 oz sinker at the furthest swivel. Now catch the biggest Live FROG you can find & go work your spot.

We were fishing a stretch on the Rideau River last week, first time on this body of water. We found one spot that held a muskie in the high 40's if not a 50 incher. On the first time she appeared, my buddy was tossing a dbl Cowgirl, unfortunately he didn't pay attention to his bait coming in this one time and just as he went to lift the spinner out, there was the biggest boil I ever did see boat side! It scared the bah jeepers out of both of us. That was the first follow. Next cast with the DC this fish is right on the spinner and even started to commit on the figure 8, but alas, she wandered off to the deep never to be seen again, or so we thought. My buddy changes up to a bull dawg and once again on the first cast this behemoth come in flailing her gills and then she still turns away as if she is toying with us! Because this was my buddy's fish he brought in the first time, I wasn't going to cast the same area until he had a couple of tries to get her in the boat. Well, his time ran out and now I do a cast in the same general area with a sledge, this fish is right on top of it, I mean she was pushing the jerk bait with her nose as I was retrieveing! Still couldn't get a hook into her. :wallbash:

We ended up casting spinners, Bulldawg, Sledge, Believer, Manta, Huey and a Suick. Out of more than 50 casts, we had her come to the boat 8 times... that we saw. Lord only knows how many times she came to the boat where we didn't see her!

Bottom line we figured this was a very well educated fish and has been there done that and now it's time to get us anglers back!

Still made for an exhilarating day I tell ya!