Credit Shore Salmon

Reef Runner

So,

do you find that in the rivers (not the mouth) salmon will bite lures (spoons, spinners) just with casting and retrieving? or is it a better method to use a float and drift the hardware?

That spot where Reef was is deep & slow, between the QEW & Lakeshore there's not alot of current and some holes that are deeper than most people think, atleast 12', probably more. Did well there last year paddling the canoe up casting spoons & body baits. In the usual Lake O trib there's too many people & not enough depth to really use hardware. If you find a big deep hole it can work, but there's not many around, and even less without it full of marshmallow plunkers.

That stretch of the Credit was nice because it was full of fish and there's little access.

Bottom line is they're not eating anything. Open one up and see what's in the stomach, you won't find a thing.

The only salmon meat hunting I do is off a GB trib (tasty fish!), and everyone I open up has eggs in it's gut, sometimes a few bugs. If they're fresh from the lake they probably haven't had time to eat anything, but they'll still swallow stuff in the river.

Nice fish but it doesn't look like a hen to me. Those fighting teeth in the front of the jaws are only grown by the males and only at spawning time. Sometimes they get that big that they look like a dog's canine teeth. If you saw any eggs falling out of that fish, then it would be some kind of genetic deviant.

It's a hen, they can grow some big fighting teeth on the bottom chompers without the big top kype. Jeez dontcha know any wimmin's? They can scrap too!

Look at the pic turned the other way, 100% hen.

ReefHen.JPG

Who cares why the fish are hitting? Should we only be fishing for fish that are actually hungry?

If I can disturb a big fish with a lure, and the end result is him smashing it, I win :)

Reef: Awesome fish bud!

BillM - Well said.

Reefrunner - Sweet catch buddy, I'm jealous.....stinkin' lake erie tribs....

To the "complainers" of the board - give me a break, my 2 year old daughter knows that if you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all!

Peace

To the "complainers" of the board - give me a break, my 2 year old daughter knows that if you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all!

Peace

Exactly.

Anyhow, who's to say for sure the fish was lined?, you weren't there StrealHeader.

Would you bet your life on it? Not likely.

So why the comment? :dunno:

Once again, congrat's on the fish reefrunner!

Whoa, runaway post, lol.

Thanks for the kind words. Thank you solo, especially, your response to my post on skein rigging helped me out a bunch.

UB, keep at it buddy! Hope the family (and expected) is doin' great!

As for stealheader still trying to prove something with relentless posts, guys let it go. This dude never reported on anything he ever caught, and until then, his comments are just empty words in my opinion.

I really never intended for this post to go in the direction it has. Let's keep it a family site!

Seems I've been sorely misunderstood. I wasn't complaining and I wasn't denigrating anyone. I never suggested that the fish was lined either. There were questions asked and I merely offered some biological information and suggested reasons why fish will bite even when they're incapable of digesting anything. I also never suggested that folks should only fish for hungry fish, that's beyond silly. Since no one cut the fish open to see if it had eggs or milt, the discussion about male female could go on forever. The length of the jawline, eye position and lack of a pot belly also indicate male to me, even looking at it the other way up.