My gram pappy told me bout this one...

You need:

1 nice size sheepshead

1 roaring campfire

1 sheet tin foil

1 steamin hot pile bear dung

Clean yer sheepshead.

Smother it in bear dung.

Wrap it all up in foil and throw it in the fire. Leave 2-3hrs.

Retrieve package from fire.

Discard sheepshead - enjoy what's left.

Works well with sunfish, suckers, etc...

I had a 23" the other day and I was shocked at how little I got from it. They have abnormally large and sturdy ribcages and they are tough to clean like a bass. I got precious little from it...My neighbour tells me you should scale em and cook em whole in the oven, on the bbq... I dunno.

Fresh Water Drum AKA Sheephead are a food fish that is harvested on the Mississippi River accord to an article that I read.

The problem when cooking them is there is little or no oil in the flesh, so they are very easy to over cook.

When over cooked, they are as dry as cardboard. I have eaten them and found the meat to be pure white, without any particular flavour.

Nice recipe! But mine is better…

The very first time, years ago, I caught my very first Sheepshead. I did not know what it was, there was this old gentleman fishing the same spot where I was. So I approached him with fish on hand and asked “Excuse me, do you know what this is” he looked at me and said “oh, son, it’s called a sheepshead”

I released that fish. My next cast I got another one, and another, and another. In total, 8 of them. During the middle of this, the old gentleman comes up to me and says “man! your rod might have been cursed!” I really did not understand what he meant by it, because this is the first time I am seeing and catching a sheepshead.

So now we both are packing to leave and I ask the gentleman “so.. can you eat a sheepshead” he says “sure you can, and my great grand father came up with an amazing recipe and even to this day my son uses it” so I was excited and asked him “how do you cook them” he goes “ all ya need is a nice cedar plank, you season the fish, place it on the plank, if I were you I would use lots of lime and stuff the fish with a clove of garlic, put the plank and the fish in the oven. (at this moment, I am paying all attention to him, cause I did not want to forget the instructions) make sure the over is set for 350F. Bake it for about 45 min. when its done take it out and discard the fish and eat the plank!” I swear, it took me about a minute to get this,lol, we both had a good laugh.

I still fish with that same gentleman (Ed is his name) after almost 15 years now, he just turned 89 about 2 weeks ago :)